Looking into speakers.
Oct 11, 2010 at 8:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Kukuk

Headphoneus Supremus
So I'm looking into speakers I might want to buy in the future. Problem is, I really don't know much about them. I know headphone brands and such, but I really don't know speakers at all.

I'd like a pair of speakers that could match my K271's in quality and sound signature. I like the mids they have, and I like that low-extending bass without having a "bassy" sound. (Although I'd be willing to concede that low reaching bass)

What I'd be looking into is powered speakers if I didn't want an amp/receiver, correct? What kind of money would I be expecting to spend on something like this? Any help would be great!

Oct 11, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #3 of 10
Ah, those are pretty spendy. Is that really what I'd have to spend to match the K271's?

Oct 11, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #4 of 10
Many times, you're better off with passive speakers and a cheap, old receiver. Speaker amps aren't as critical as headphone amps are - you can get away with a $20 garage sale or Craigslist find.

What kind of speakers are you looking for? Bookshelves, floorstanders, dynamic, planar? Would you consider a DIY pair? Do you want to buy new, or would you consider used? And what is your budget?

Oct 11, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 10
I really don't have a preference for what kind of speakers, is there a difference besides size? So far all I've ever used is HTIB and Logitech garbage, never used real speakers. lol.

DYI is probably out of the question, since I'm not a handy-man sort, and I'd end up breaking everything. Heh.

Buying new is preferable, as I have no lucking trying to find exactly what I'm looking for used. I'll have in mind what I want to buy, but it would seem nobody is selling that item.

As for price, I really don't know. It's not like I'm buying them any time soon, so price can be extremely liquid. I basically just want to match the quality and signature, I don't want to exceed them, because I don't want to feel I've wasted money on the headphones. lol.

Nov 23, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #6 of 10
I found the Elac FS 67.2 very good for it's price (700euro a pair). Might be interesting, my experience is that you need to listen at the local hifi store. A lot of speakers get over-rated on the internet.

Nov 25, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #7 of 10

The K271 sound very un-natural (closed,cavernous you hear the heavy reflection of the plastic cups) almost any speakers will sound "better", the yamaha hs 50 have a neutral/realistic midrange for low cost.
Quote:
I'd like a pair of speakers that could match my K271's in quality and sound signature. I like the mids they have, and I like that low-extending bass without having a "bassy" sound. (Although I'd be willing to concede that low reaching bass)

Nov 25, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #8 of 10
Hi Kukuk

I think you should look at second-hand amplifiers and speakers. I wouldn't dream of buying a new amp and speakers personally because it is such a vast waste of money.

There hasn't been any improvement in sound quality in amplifiers and speakers for decades.

So many have been built in the 70s, 80s and 90s that they can be obtained very cheaply.

In the domestic situation a separate amplifier and speakers will work very well.

Historically the reason why "professional monitoring" speakers had amplifiers built in was simply practicality, it is very much better to have "one less box" when you are lugging stuff around. It had nothing to do with sound quality.

So, with a good second-hand amplifier and speakers you will be able to get very excellent sound quality.

Nov 25, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #9 of 10
It is true but studio monitor have the advantage of using active crossover and internal amp made for the speaker at low cost while hifi use passive solely for selling separated amps and matching but of course external active amps are better and some very high-end speakers work like that.

Some audiophile have sell their gear to own studio gear because it is way cheaper, more convenient and sound realistic.
Quote:
Historically the reason why "professional monitoring" speakers had amplifiers built in was simply practicality, it is very much better to have "one less box" when you are lugging stuff around. It had nothing to do with sound quality.

Nov 25, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
It is true but studio monitor have the advantage of using active crossover and internal amp made for the speaker at low cost while hifi use passive solely for selling separated amps and matching but of course external active amps are better and some very high-end speakers work like that.

Some audiophile have sell their gear to own studio gear because it is way cheaper, more convenient and sound realistic.
Quote:

The big problem with putting amplifiers into speakers is that the speaker vibrates a great deal. It is very difficult to isolate the amplifier circuit from those vibes inside the speaker cabinet.

My own experience leads me to favour a separate amplifier but I wouldn't say there is a hard and fast rule.

It is not the case that putting the cross-over between the pre amp and power amp is necessarily "better" than putting it after the power amp. It is just another way of doing things which brings as many disadvantages as it does advantages.

The cross-over is a "necessary evil" when you are splitting the signal into treble and bass, but the damage done by the cross-over is not necessarily lessened by putting it earlier in the "chain". I think, personally, that the cross-over should be as late in the chain as possible. Remember that if you put the cross-over after the pre-amplifier all the flaws introduced by the cross-over are put into the power-amp and amplified!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back