Looking For ...
Jul 2, 2005 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

absoLut

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a arguably good pair of headphones, for listening to music at home from my imac and on the go on my mp3 player, but being a student, i've a limited budget, any suggestions? currently i've been advised to get either the AKG K26P or Sennheiser HD201...

Jul 2, 2005 at 1:07 PM Post #3 of 7
Welcome to HeadFi, sorry about your wallet
smily_headphones1.gif
...In Soviet Russia, wallet is sorry for YOU!
biggrin.gif

What's your target budget, and what kind of headphone do you have in mind? My personal suggestion to anyone getting a decent starter pair of headphones is to check out Grado SR60's($69), but if your budget isn't up to that area yet, there's always Koss KSC75's, which can be had for under $20, I think(I don't own a pair, unfortunately). I've heard the Sennheiser HD201 is also a great choice as well, if you need isolation as well as great sound. The Grado's and Koss' are both open backed, and therefore don't isolate from outside noises.

If there's more needs to be met for your budget, someone should be able to help you, and I'll see what I can find in the meantime.
5000smile.gif
Abe

Jul 2, 2005 at 1:46 PM Post #5 of 7
Add Sennheiser PX100, Koss Portapro and Beyerdynamic DT231 to the list. K26P comments? Sure, the search function will spit out plenty, as with the others.

Jul 2, 2005 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 7
i've been doing a good bit of research here as well ... for basically the same situation. Using a set of cans out of a Computer as well as an MP3 player. I am a college student, which also adds that i need isolation/closed cans. Maybe you need the same.

I searched the AKG K 26 P's and didn't find that they were that exciting. Many were let down by them, but take that for what its worth. Many head-fi'ers here have superb taste and sensitive ears - much more sensitive than mine. So, basically, for me, i decided that they'd sound much better to me than other cans, but that there ARE better alternatives to them, and possibly even for cheaper. i can't figure out though, why Headroom gave them such high marks ... when here, they never got that warm of a reception.

You many want to look for a nice set of Canal Phones, as well. Er6i's were recommended to me, and possibly some out of the Shure line (e2c, e3c, etc.)

for cheap, i'm pretty sure you won't be let down by a pair of Koss KSC-75's and many people like the HD201's. at about $20 shipped, i'm gonna give them a try.

Jul 2, 2005 at 6:29 PM Post #7 of 7
The k 26 p is well worth the money IMO. Its missing some highs, and the mids are not as refined as sr-60's, but the bass response is unbelievable. How'd they get so much bass out of these little baby headphones? I haven't heard the 201's, but I really think the k26 holds up against everything in its price range. Of course, once you get to 100$ there are better offerings. For instance, the hd-280 is much more refined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back