Looking for well constructed ICs
Oct 19, 2008 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Maxvla

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm in the crowd, at least at this point, that doesn't really hear a difference between IC cables, but I do want cables that are durable.

So I'm looking for some not too expensive short run ICs (maybe 1 ft at most) that are constructed to last. I've looked at the BlueJeans and while I like the way they are 'spring loaded' on the connector, they look cheaply made. I also looked at Cobalt cables and these looked far better constructed. I also like the screw action of the connector better than the BlueJeans style. I've looked at a few others that I found lacking.

Right now I'm leaning towards Cobalt, but I wanted to post to see if there were quality options (under $100, preferably as cheap as possible) I haven't seen.

audio_interconnect.jpg

Edit: Just ran across Heartland Cables L-5CFB I'd select the standard bullets making a 1m run $50. Build quality looks nice. Toss up with this and Cobalt atm.

Oct 20, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #3 of 11
Looks nice and solid build. I'll check the auctions when they have less time on them. 16+ hrs left on shortest one and its at $21 so far. Retail on them is over $100 so if they really sell for $25 on eBay I might get them.

Oct 20, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #4 of 11
Search for only 'Completed Listings' will reveal that $25 is indeed their average selling price on eBay ^^

Oct 20, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #5 of 11
Ah, good trick. I've been away from eBay for years I've lost my touch.

I also sent a mail to the seller asking about a .5m length, though it is stated on their site that the cable is quite rigid.

Oct 20, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #6 of 11
Sent an email to Heartland about a custom length of either the Belden or the L-5CFB. Described my arrangement and asked for length suggestions. I think if the cable is flexible enough I can get away with a 1 foot run. Trying to keep cable length to a minimum since it will be 'on display' in my living room.

Oct 20, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #8 of 11
I agree they probably are ok, but as this will be displayed I'd rather not have bare cable with the text of the cable clearly viewable (from BJC site pic), also the plugs don't look very classy.

example:
audcombo.jpg

Oct 20, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #9 of 11
Maxvla, Blue Jeans will put Techflex on the cables for a few extra dollars. I've got several pairs done that way and I think they look nice.

Also affordable and well made are Vampire's cables:

Welcome to Vampire Wire

Vampire makes nice jacks and connectors, too.

Oct 20, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #10 of 11
Those Vampire ICs look nice. I'll keep them in the mix.

Right now I'm mostly just waiting for email responses before I do anything.

Oct 21, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #11 of 11
Zu Oxyfuel seller said just to specify in the winning auction for .5m. Wasn't able to win one tonight someone out bid my highest bid with 1 second left. I think this is the route I'll go though as Heartland's quote was 44 + 7 shipping and I like the look of the Zu cables better. He only auctions 4 pairs a day, so I have to wait til tomorrow afternoon for the next set to finish to try to win again. I'm pretty sure I can get these for around $30-35 shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back