Looking for VERY comfortable headphones
Aug 14, 2007 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

yggahs

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum, and I'm looking for recommendations for headphones. My major criterion is comfort. I sit at a desk for most of the day listening to music while I work, and I need something that will hold up in terms of comfort for 6+ hrs a day.

I have a pair of Grado SR-80s at home which got my though grad school. I'm a fan of the sound, but I just can't wear them for such extended periods of time. I've been using a pair of $20 sony headphones that my wife had lying around, but I just can't take it anymore...the buzzing in the right earphone is driving me mad
smily_headphones1.gif

As far as sonic qualities, I lean towards audio gear that is a bit warmer but with a pretty detailed mid-range. However, while I'm definitely looking for something that sounds good, since I'm only half paying attention to the music while I'm working, I can trade off sound quality for comfort.

Last two major considerations: First, aesthetically, I don't want large clunky headphones since I will be wearing these at work. Second, I would like to stay under $100, preferably a bit lower.

I'm very curious to hear your thoughts and opinions. And thanks in advance for helping out a newbie
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 14, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 25
maybe some IEM's are in your future. do some research on those, then come back so someone can recommend the Mylarone X3m, or atrio M5, (the two most recommended Ear "plugs" as my father calls them

Aug 14, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by NickSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe some IEM's are in your future. do some research on those, then come back so someone can recommend the Mylarone X3m, or atrio M5, (the two most recommended Ear "plugs" as my father calls them

whenever i think of IEM's, i don't really think of comfortable.

i also recommend the hd-555/hd595's.

Aug 14, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #5 of 25
Audio Technica AD700's are very comfortable. I can wear them for hours with no discomfort. They're huge headphones and very deep, with barely any clamping force. Lovely to wear.

They also sound pretty damn good too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 14, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #6 of 25
A500/700 - AD700 if comfort is your main concern. They are big though and not very portable.

Aug 14, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #7 of 25
Bose Triport is still my favorite in terms of comfort. The cup is no bigger than it needs to be. It doesn't touch my ears inside the cup. They're light.

If only my E9's fit like this...

(Btw, I'd sell them.)

Aug 14, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #8 of 25
If comfort is very high priority, I would have to recommend the triports as well. They are practically weightless and sit gently without any pressure. I find the Senn 555/595 to be a little head crushing, although soft and comfortable in a secure kind of way, they put a little too much pressure IMHO.

AT series A500/A700/A900 are all extremely comfortable and sound great as well. But you can use these only in an airconditioned room, if its not, your ears can get sweaty and uncomfortable.

Aug 14, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #9 of 25
Hmm... no big headphones huh? So a K240s is out of the picture.

How big is "too big"?

headphile C-pads for the SR80 would be my first suggestion, since you already like the SR80 sound. TTVJ flats on the SR80s is another smaller alternative that is more comfy than bowls.

Yuin PK2s are very comfy IMHO, and fit your criteria.

Aug 14, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #11 of 25
I used the HD 485 for years at work. They're big but don't look too bad. I think they sound pretty good for the price. Another option is the PX100. Neither of these will have a Grado like sound though. For that, I'd suggest the KSC75, $25 at Radio Shack. The ear clips might be uncomfortable when you first buy them, but they're bendable and with a little work you can get a good fit so that you can wear them for hours without noticing them. I'm amazed no one has suggested them yet.

Aug 14, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #12 of 25
Another vote for hd595. Sometimes I forget I have them on, even though the music has stopped playing.

Aug 15, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #14 of 25
I can't believe this has gone 13 posts without a single mention of Denon D1000s. I'm beside myself... They are, hands down, the phones that will meet all of your requirements (and then some). And they currently happen to be $99 shipped from J&R music.

It's almost as if the Denon technicians used your list of requirements to build the D1000s!

Go, go, go!
Grab a pair now. You will not be disappointed.

The absolute LAST pair of headphones you want to consider are Bose Triports. The D1000s bury them in every single regard (especially sound quality), and are just as comfy.

Bad Head-Fi, BAD.

Most of The Sennheiser phones suggested in this thread are too big, and the AT phones are definitely too big, and the Bose phones? Holy crap! Yeah I guess they are comfy, but that's about all they have going for them.

Is it a full moon out tonight? LOL

Aug 15, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #15 of 25
x2 on Denon D1000s. They are very very comfy and sound terrific for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back