Looking for USB DAC & amp combined
May 11, 2013 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

JohnSantana

500+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

Can anyone please suggest me which USB DAC include the AMP as well ?
I already have Fiio E11 and wondering to explore another improvement that can be made with adding USB DAC as I'm listening to my MP3 collections on my laptop with my Westone 4.

my budget is up to $500

May 11, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #2 of 9
Venturecraft Go DAP-X
Sony PHA-1     
are two that I use with W4 

hope that is a start and others , here, will offer more options?

Happy Listening!!!

May 12, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #3 of 9
I use the Schiit Magni and Modi. you'll be hard pressed to find a better amp/dac for the price. $99 for the amp, and $99 for the dac. It was a huge improvement over my E11. I bet once you look into the Schiit stuff (yes, pronounced "crap" ) you'll be sold. They sell awesome gear and provide stellar support.

www.schiit.com

May 12, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 9
Cool, thanks people,

I wonder what could be the difference between the portable USB DAC and the desktop dedicated DAC & AMP ?

As fr the Schiit, I can see that boththey are desktop based not a protable one ?

May 12, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 9
I use the Schiit Magni and Modi. you'll be hard pressed to find a better amp/dac for the price. $99 for the amp, and $99 for the dac. It was a huge improvement over my E11. I bet once you look into the Schiit stuff (yes, pronounced "crap" ) you'll be sold. They sell awesome gear and provide stellar support.

www.schiit.com

Skolar,
so in between the Modi and Magni, what sort of cable to connect between those two ?

May 12, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
Skolar,
so in between the Modi and Magni, what sort of cable to connect between those two ?

Just a standard RCA-to-RCA between the Magni and Modi, then a USB cable from the Modi to the PC.

Schiit sells these cables as PYST cables. (Put Your Schiit Together).

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=12

May 12, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Cool, thanks people,

I wonder what could be the difference between the portable USB DAC and the desktop dedicated DAC & AMP ?

As fr the Schiit, I can see that boththey are desktop based not a protable one ?

Schiit states that they don't believe in portable (probably at the moment) because they require a battery. This is straight from their website:

"We’re really not into battery-powered amps. Lithium power cells mean switching supplies (and extra insurance riders for the production line, and shipping headaches.) Dual 9V would work for lower power output, but you have to deal with charging and power management. In the end, we chose to design with AC input and 15V rails, for better power output"

May 13, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #8 of 9

Schiit states that they don't believe in portable (probably at the moment) because they require a battery. This is straight from their website:

"We’re really not into battery-powered amps. Lithium power cells mean switching supplies (and extra insurance riders for the production line, and shipping headaches.) Dual 9V would work for lower power output, but you have to deal with charging and power management. In the end, we chose to design with AC input and 15V rails, for better power output"

Cool :)

So comapre to this mobile amp XM6 (http://www.practicaldevices.com/purchase_xm6.htm) what do you reckon ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back