looking for upgrade, considering the Hifiman he400
Aug 28, 2012 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

MotherShip

New Head-Fier
Hi!

Using the akg k271's mkii for a while gave me a good perspective about what I'm looking in my "perfect headphones"
overall I love the akg's, I can sit for hours listening to AC/DC and other rock bands, but, I came to realize that they lack an airy feeling and a wider stage. Currently I don't own any amp but i am planing to get a Cmoy set and build one (I know it's not a serious one, but just out of interest in the DIY I developed lately).

Can someone share his knowledge about  the sound stage and how airy the he400 are?
And if someone is planing to sell his pair i just might be interested because apparently there is no way for me to buy a pair of new ones where i live/
I'm open for any other suggestions in the 300~500$ region (don't care if only headphones or a set of amp+headphones)

Aug 28, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #2 of 3
Heya,

You mentioned its hard to get or impossible to get a headphone where you live. So naturally it begs the question... where do you live? As it will no doubt factor into what else you can get that is recommended and prices may be quite different than what will be recommended in your USD$ range specified.

Also we really need to know what kind of sound signature you want. You like AKG but you want a few more things. But maybe you'd like more than that even. At your price range, you can "get it all" frankly. So go ahead and cover all your bases and think about what kind of sound you ultimately want.

Until that info is supplied, here's some quick recommendations:

AKG Q701 + NFB 12.1
Sennheiser HD598 + Fiio E10
Sennheiser HD600 + NFB 12.1 (or Little Dot MK II or MK III; or Schiit Asgard or Valhalla)
AudioTechnica AD900 + Fiio E10
Fischer Audio FA-002 + Fiio E10
Beyer DT880 600ohm + NFB 12.1, Little Dot MK III, Schiit Asgard, Schiit Valhalla)
Denon D5000 or D600 + Fiio E10

Very best,

Aug 28, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 3
I live in Israel, we don't really have this mid-fi category here except for Q701 and the new shure's, but generaly it's not a problem, thankfully god created ebay for such matters... except the only seller on ebay doesn't sell the he400 outside the us =P

The ad900 was on my wannaTry list for a long time, but if Im correct the he400 are supposed to be on a whole other level aren't they!?
i read about the k702/701/q701 and I didnt like what i saw, Im not looking to analyze my music Im looking to enjoy it with a fair amount of detail. also from what Ive read people impressions splits into to major groups- those who love them and the opposite group (same applies to DT880)
I am very sceptical towards the senn's 598, as I see it they will give me the same epxperince that i get with the akg's but with a slight change in the sound signature.
Im willing to try the HD600 combo at a reasonable price (second hand  hd600 are going for 300~400$' and i guess the amp costs a couple hundreds to?)

i find it hard to expand what Im going for more then i already did,
i love the akg's and what i mentioned is the only thing that bothers me (also at some situations the vocals and mids get a little squiki but i blame the lack of amping on this one)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back