Looking For Two You Think Are Great
Feb 25, 2009 at 7:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Nick63

100+ Head-Fier
I would like to get recordings of two works.
They are...

Holst: The Planets
Grieg: Peer Gynt Suites

I would like to know what you think are the best.
Please only suggest recordings that are clean. I can't handle poor audio production. Older recordings are welcome if they sound clean and clear.
Thanks

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #2 of 6
Hi Nick63,

Right now I am listening to the Planets on an Apex recording, BBC Symphony Orchestra conducted by Sir Andrew Davis. Sounds great to me, however, it's the only version that I own. I have heard the San Francisco Symph under Tilson-Thomas is supposed to be very good. I heard the SF perform The Planets live and it was excellent.

I do not own any recording of Peer Gynt.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Feb 26, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #3 of 6
Hi Tom,

I will see what I can find out about the Apex recording you suggest and the the other you heard good things about. These two works don't seem to be too popular, but there must be a number of good renderings out there. I would think the BBC Symphony Orchestra would do quality work. I do hope to get at least 3 or 4 suggestions for each to check out.

Thanks for the input.

Feb 27, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #4 of 6
I need to pick up a copy of Grieg, so I'll keep an eye on this thread.

My favorite copy of The Planets is a Deutsche Grammophone SACD conducted by Gardiner, with The Warriors by Grainger on it. It's well performed and well recorded all around. But what really stand out is Grainger's piece. The Warriors is one of the best 20th Century pieces that you've (probably) never heard of. It's worth buying just for that.

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the heads up Uncle Erik. I'll have to pick up that SACD. The Grainger piece sounds interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back