Looking for the ultimate basshead headphone. Is the L3000 what I'm looking for?
Sep 23, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #16 of 26
I think the L3000 out of a AT-DHA3000 is a perfect couple. The L3000 and 007MK2 (SRM-600 Limited) get the most music-playingtime on my head. If I listen to drums, The L3000 is certainly my prefered headphone. For piano, the 007. Source is a Cyrus CD8x with PSX-R. The Ultrasone ED9 was at the end not enough to my liking to buy - but I did audition them for hours. Something I would not have done if I disliked them altogether. 

Sep 25, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #17 of 26

Quote:
 If I listen to drums, The L3000 is certainly my prefered headphone.

Arrrrgghhh !  Thanks a-lot !!!

atsmile.gif

Actually had a life changing-experience w the A-900s (the blue ones from Audiocubes) on solid state.  As stated ... depends on what kind of basshead you are.   It made me feel like what I feel when I am in the presence of live music.

Must be said I had some cables upstream that changed everything. Nad system w a monster headphone-out.  I still want to bring it to a meet.

Oct 8, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #18 of 26

Quote:
The two best I've heard is the original Grado PS-1 and the L3000.  The PS-1 has more punch and has a tighter kick.  The L3000 is deeper and more textured.  It also has more kick than any other headphone besides the PS-1.  I actually think the PS-1 bass was a little too much for softer songs.  L3000 bass isn't overpowering when it's not needed.

And as far as the complaints I keep seeing about L3000, it's either a matter of taste or the system they've heard them on.  Don't think I have anyone ever complained about them at any of the meets I've brought my setup to.  Think only issue has been some people prefer a more open headphone but all said it has excellent bass.  

I'm using the L3000 out of a DHA3000 running from a Mac in 24 bit mode using BitPerfect.  For some reason 24 bit opens up the sound.  Could be due to the digital volume of the amp.

Ditto on the PS1 and L3000. Couldn't agree more.

Oct 11, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #20 of 26
JVC DX 1000 have amazing rib rattling bass, all of the Denon D series are superb performers also, the D5000 is easily the best when it comes down to pure , raw , low end bass reproduction. 

Oct 14, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #22 of 26
This is slightly off topic, but I need input from a serious basshead.  I listen to mostly drum and bass, hip hop, uk garage, house, dubstep, etc...and I've been using a PMX-100 headphone for workouts.  I need to find a replacement and wondering what do you guys use for workouts?  Because it's for workouts my budget is $35 or less.  Any suggestions please?

Oct 14, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #23 of 26
Well, it seems ATH released a W3000ANV headphone. I suppose I'll wait for that to come out first.

Quote:
This is slightly off topic, but I need input from a serious basshead.  I listen to mostly drum and bass, hip hop, uk garage, house, dubstep, etc...and I've been using a PMX-100 headphone for workouts.  I need to find a replacement and wondering what do you guys use for workouts?  Because it's for workouts my budget is $35 or less.  Any suggestions please?

I was able to snatch Monster Turbines from their outlet store for $35 during Christmas. http://www.monstercable.com/outletstore/linelist.asp  It's a bit pricier now.

Oct 14, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #24 of 26
Do note that the anniversary models may be limited edition and will be very expensive, if you even manage to see one for sale.

Quote:
Well, it seems ATH released a W3000ANV headphone. I suppose I'll wait for that to come out first.

I was able to snatch Monster Turbines from their outlet store for $35 during Christmas. http://www.monstercable.com/outletstore/linelist.asp  It's a bit pricier now.

Oct 31, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #26 of 26
Have gone up the Bass head department.  I listen to trance.  As far as quantity and impact, I haven't heard anything that can beat the PRO-900s.  However, the LCD-2 is AMAZING in bass.  It combines detail, with even more detail, and NO BOOM!  The impact is comparable and quantity is a win for PRO-900s, but I believe the lack of boom lessens the perception.  Just to clarify, the PRO-900 is a controlled boom.  It feels more like a subwoofer in a car.  That isn't to say that the LCD-2 can't pound bass or that it doesn't resolve to a speaker like presentation.  In fact the LCD-2 feels more speaker like in the complete spectrum, where the PRO-900 feels like a subwoofer + headphone.

Representation:
Pound = trampoline (full of impact, tight, resolute, driven)
Boom = Rock throw into a pond (residual waves and extended duration)

For me, I love headphones that can recreate a club atmosphere.  The LCD-2 can create that and combine with lanes of detail.  The PRO-900 creates a more intimate atmosphere with less sound reflection.

The LCD-2 is in a class above the PRO-900s.  However, the PRO-900s do something amazing.  They saturate you in a bath of bass, but the separation of audio frequencies is astounding.  Many bass heavy cans will overpower the response and presence of mids and treble, but with the PRO-900, everything feels distinct.  They don't have the detail of the LCD-2, but the response time of the Ultrasone is amazing.  Detail is excellent.  Reproduction is accurate.  Since the sound stage of the LCD-2 is more circular then the oval shape of the PRO-900, there seems to be more area for sound production.  Imagine a painting compressed, a touch vertically and slightly more compression horizontally, compared to the original image.

The actual presentation of information for both of these headphones is distinct.  I wouldn't want to depart from either now that I have listened to them.

BTW I can't overstate the value of the Asgard.  This AMP is incredible!  These are rev1 Audez'e.

However, the LCD-3 is coming, not to mention I have never had the pleasure of listening to L3000s.

basshead.gif

+

=

Users who are viewing this thread

Back