Looking for the UE700 flavor. Title has to be long to attract attention!
Mar 7, 2011 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Yggdrassilious

500+ Head-Fier
Hello all

I've been missing my UE700s ever since they broke...for the second time. (nay for their durability!). And I need help picking out something similar in sound, but maybe from a different company that has better durability.

Truth is I vastly prefer the UE700s over all other portable audio phones I have owned, including UE's own TF10s, Senn IE7, Shure SE310, ATH EW9, ESW9, EC700, B&O A8, Monster turbines, and many lesser phones unworthy of mention. I like listening to them from time to time, but the UE700s are the ones I keep coming back to.

I love their design, comfort, their miniature size as much as I love their sound. The fast and crisp highs, the smooth mids, and the ...well, non-bloated lows. And I thought I had a winner, the CK10s. However....

From what I have read in many, many reviews and comments, that the CK10s sound similar to UE700s, but they are discontinued on Audio-Techinca's American site (even though on the Japanese site they are still in production), and the current price of $260+ is putting me off especially when they were cheaper before. 

From my lurking in the forums I recon the sounds from companies like Westone is probably not going to be my cup of tea. The Atrio's new MG7 drivers sound interesting, but they are dynamic and I think is not going to produce the same sound as dual-BA drivers in the UE700s.

So, please help, guys! I'd like to keep my budget around or preferably below $200 if possible, as I got my UE700s on a Logitech promotion for $110ish. And I am really only looking for something that's similar in size, design, and sound as the UE700s. (but with better durability!)

Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back