looking for the most comfortable over-ear headphone. Suggestions much appreciated.
May 30, 2014 at 2:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

thl70

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone.  I am looking for a pair of comfortable headphones and was hoping for some well educated suggestions.  After doing well over half day research, I am giving up to ask this question on the forum at the risk of someone telling to "DO A SEARCH!".  There are simply too many gears out there and the naming conventions are confusing to say the least.  My criterias are quite simple, I'd like to find a pair of headphone with good noise isolation properties for the occasional long-haul flights that is comfortable to wear.  My biggest issue with comfort in the past seems to be heat or overheating.  I almost jump at the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 pair until I learn about the heating issues.  It would be nice if the manufactures can use material that breaths rather than leather or pleather which does not.  Secondly on the comfort front, a low or smooth profile would be nice as well for the time when I like to lean to the side during flights, or using while in bed.  Sound quality should be good and I assume with a budget of +/- $300, that should not be an issue. To be honest, I am not the best judge of sounds anyway although sharp highs will probably be an issue for me.

The models I've looked at so far...

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 - too hot after prolong wearing?

Bose® QuietComfort® 15 and Sennheiser PXC 450 - decided I don't need active noise cancelling.

Bowers & Wilkins P7 - price just a bit on the high side

Harman Kardon NC and BT - looks like they have the low profile I'd like but have not hear about comfort level as far as with overheating.

A big thank you for your help in advance!

Tommy

Jun 4, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #2 of 14
The beyer DT770 might be a good headphone for you. The problem with most closed backs is that they use leather Passos heating will happen, however the 770 uses velour so it won't get as hot.

Also the momentum is pretty good at not getting too hot I wear it out in LA during the summer. And it doesn't fatigue too much.

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #6 of 14
The most comfortable over-ear headphone I know is by far the Sony MDR-1R. Considerably more comfortable than the headphones suggested above with quite good noise isolation. Of course, head shape and ear geometry play important factors in this, but so far all the people who tried this headphone were pleased with the fit.

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #7 of 14
  The most comfortable over-ear headphone I know is by far the Sony MDR-1R. Considerably more comfortable than the headphones suggested above with quite good noise isolation. Of course, head shape and ear geometry play important factors in this, but so far all the people who tried this headphone were pleased with the fit.

Velour is...better than that.

Jun 4, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #10 of 14
The dt770 velour isn't different then the 880 or 990 and it is quite comfortable but that's just my opinion. The Sony is comfortable but I can't comment on how long you can wear it before the leather gets too hot.

Jun 4, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #11 of 14
KRK KNS 8400…memory foam pads. I use them exclusively when I just want to sit back and relax. Also, quite durable when falling asleep. Cable is a beast and so is the headphone. It just refuses to break on me, despite all I've put it through in the past 2 years.

Jun 5, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #12 of 14
The Momentums are definitely a hit or miss depending on your ear size and shape, especially if you don't have small ears. Buy them from a retailer with a good return policy if you're thinking about trying them out. The P7 is fairly comfortable but it's slightly on the smaller side for a circumaural and the pads aren't really the most compliant, and you definitely can't lie down sideways with a pair of them on your head. Personally, I'd opt for a good set of IEMs with a negative profile, like the Shure models.

Jun 5, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #13 of 14
  Velour is...better than that.

have you actually worn the MDR-1R's? They have my vote for most comfortable, and many other reviews agree. 

FWIW I have velour Beyer pads on my MDR-7506's and they ARE comfortable, but NOT more than the MDR-1R's are. I also bought the 770's but returned them. They were OK, but had a strong clamp.

The Brainwavz HM5 pads are right up there with the MDR-1R's (they're very similar actually, but a little larger in size. would be perfect for someone with large ears), and will fit a variety of different 'phones, so you can get the best sounding phones you can, and put the Brainwavz pads on them for comfort. I love them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back