Looking for the best headphones for my tastes <$200
Dec 3, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #16 of 81

Quote:
Hmm, I'm having a hard time deciding between the Grado's, Shure's, and M50's. 
I've seen those three recommended the most for a sort of entry level, price/performance headphones.

Looking at portable amps, they're a lot cheaper than I remembered them being.
IF I were to get a portable amp to accompany one of these headphones, does anyone have any recommendations? It needs to be the size of or smaller than an iPod Touch.

Quote:
You wanted deep bass, per your original post. Scratch the Grados off. The Shures can do bass, but it's more of a neutral natural bass. The M50 can do good bass, but there's other options that have better mids, sound stages, treble, etc.

Suggestion: Fischer Audio FA-003 (or rebranded HM5), Shure SRH840, Beyer DT770 PRO. As for portable amp, Digizoid ZO2.

Very best,

Good catch, MalVeauX, regarding the bass.   I hadn't gone back to the original post in a few days and
it had slipped my mind.

So we agree on the Shure 840.  I've not heard the Fischer, but I know you like them very much.
(I've tried to get a listen, but their availability here in the NYC area seems spotty at best.)

I still recommend the ATH-M50, though it's apparent you're not its biggest fan.
I bought a pair when it they first came out, sold them, and bought them again.
I think they're very good for what they are, they're very fairly priced, and they will deliver the bottom end.

But - whatever.

And the Beyer DT770 is, I think, another excellent option for the OP especially with regard to bass response.

Quote:
The FA-003's look a little large and seem like they'd grow cumbersome fast, although I won't dismiss it right away and I will look into it. And I'll look into the other two as well.
Also does the Digizoid ZO2 really improve the bass that much to justify a hundred dollar price tag? I'm not familiar with amps at all.

OP - The Digizoid ZO2 is a very recent release, though it's been awaited quite breathlessly.
It operates specifically on the bass, and also acts as an amplifier.

As for portable amplifiers,
you could also look at the Fiio E11 and the CMoy from JDS Labs.
The CMoy sounds better but the Fiio is smaller.
They both run about 50 to 60 dollars.

Dec 3, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #17 of 81

Quote:

Good catch, MalVeauX, regarding the bass.   I hadn't gone back to the original post in a few days and
it had slipped my mind.

So we agree on the Shure 840.  I've not heard the Fischer, but I know you like them very much.
(I've tried to get a listen, but their availability here in the NYC area seems spotty at best.)

I still recommend the ATH-M50, though it's apparent you're not its biggest fan.
I bought a pair when it they first came out, sold them, and bought them again.
I think they're very good for what they are, they're very fairly priced, and they will deliver the bottom end.

But - whatever.

And the Beyer DT770 is, I think, another excellent option for the OP especially with regard to bass response.

OP - The Digizoid ZO2 is a very recent release, though it's been awaited quite breathlessly.
It operates specifically on the bass, and also acts as an amplifier.

As for portable amplifiers,
you could also look at the Fiio E11 and the CMoy from JDS Labs.
The CMoy sounds better but the Fiio is smaller.
They both run about 50 to 60 dollars.

Alright, so the ZO2 is the best portable amp for bass?

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #18 of 81
Hm, I just saw a huge review for the ATH-PRO700MK2's and that reviewer said just about everything about them aside from the comfort was better than the M50's.
Is this true? They seem to be the same price.

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #19 of 81
Dec 4, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #20 of 81

Quote:
Hm, I just saw a huge review for the ATH-PRO700MK2's and that reviewer said just about everything about them aside from the comfort was better than the M50's.
Is this true? They seem to be the same price.

I've never listened to the Pro 700 Mk 2, but I have read many reviews on them.
The consensus is they're pretty good, but have way too much bass.

But if you really want some heavy bass, IMO you should give them a listen.

I also want to say that listening to at least one of the headphones suggested will make deciding much easier.
Most reputable retailers provide a money back guarantee, and depending where you live there are retailers
who have at least some of these headphones available for listening.

Quote:
I was in your EXACT same place a couple weeks ago. Get the HFI 580s, similiar to the m50s with a better sound. They're a bit uncomfortable but with Velour Pads there awesome. Trust me man, you'll be in love.

Headphones- http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/547239-REG/Ultrasone_HFI_580_HFI_580_Closed_Back_Stereo_Headphones.html

Pads- http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?SID=9w8y1bi2h055&PID=4003003&is=REG&sku=313962&AID=10603278&Q=&O=productlist&A=details#

Interesting suggestion. 

I have the 780's, which I like a lot for certain types of music.  The bass is excellent.

Dec 4, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #21 of 81

Quote:
Alright, so the ZO2 is the best portable amp for bass?

Seems like it - though there's very little hard info on it because it's such a recent release (within the past couple of weeks or so.)
The prior unit from that outfit, the ZO, got many great reviews regarding its improvement in bass response.

I personally would rather go for headphones that have the sound signature I'm looking for - I'm not a big fan of equalization;
never have been.  But that's admittedly a personal preference.

Dec 4, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #23 of 81

Quote:
The bass on the 580s  is much better than the 780s. The 580s is more for Hip/Hop, and is better than the M50s.

That is, IF you like the s-logic ultrasone sound.

To the TS: can you try the phones somewhere? I'd suggest trying any phones before buying, but maybe more so with the s-logic..

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #24 of 81

Quote:
That is, IF you like the s-logic ultrasone sound.

To the TS: can you try the phones somewhere? I'd suggest trying any phones before buying, but maybe more so with the s-logic..

I honestly have no clue where I could try out any headphones near me, or else I would.
That's why I'm just trying to get as many different opinions as possible.

After reading around for a few hours last night, it seems like the M50's and the 580's may be the best choices for what I am looking for in my price range. Seems like everything else the mids, highs, and vocals are a bit muddled, which I would really prefer not to have.

If anyone has any other good suggestions I would love to hear them as well, and keep in mind I would prefer a pair that doesn't need to rely on an amp, but one that would just benefit more from one, as I won't always have access to one if I do buy one as well.

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #25 of 81

Quote:
I honestly have no clue where I could try out any headphones near me, or else I would.

After reading around for a few hours last night, it seems like the M50's and the 580's may be the best choices for what I am looking for in my price range. Seems like everything else the mids, highs, and vocals are a bit muddled, which I would really prefer not to have.

If anyone has any other good suggestions I would love to hear them as well, and keep in mind I would prefer a pair that doesn't need to rely on an amp, but one that would just benefit more from one, as I won't always have access to one if I do buy one as well.

Well, you have some suggestions in this thread. I'd go with one of them, and just try it. Worst case scenario: you'll know what to avoid in your next purchase.

Personally, I'm not especially fond of the ultrasone sound (haven't heard them all tho ... still wanting to try the Pro 900) and I consider my M50s to be some sort of jack of all trades. Can't think of any music that I listen to, that they don't do well enough to keep as portable phones. 

Dec 4, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #26 of 81

Quote:

I still think you would prefer the 580s, many people choose them over eachother (including me.) Here's some good examples-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/540824/ath-m50-vs-ultrasone-hfi-580

http://www.head-fi.org/t/531691/review-ath-m50-vs-hfi-580-vs-sr-80

PLUS they're around $30-40 cheaper and if you buy them from B&H and you dont like them you can return them up to like Jan 15.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/547239-REG/Ultrasone_HFI_580_HFI_580_Closed_Back_Stereo_Headphones.html

These make them feel awesone-

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?SID=9w8y1bi2h055&PID=4003003&is=REG&sku=313962&AID=10603278&Q=&O=productlist&A=details#

Good Luck man.

Dec 4, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #27 of 81

Quote:
I still think you would prefer the 580s, many people choose them over eachother (including me.) Here's some good examples-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/540824/ath-m50-vs-ultrasone-hfi-580

http://www.head-fi.org/t/531691/review-ath-m50-vs-hfi-580-vs-sr-80

PLUS they're around $30-40 cheaper and if you buy them from B&H and you dont like them you can return them up to like Jan 15.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/547239-REG/Ultrasone_HFI_580_HFI_580_Closed_Back_Stereo_Headphones.html

These make them feel awesone-

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?SID=9w8y1bi2h055&PID=4003003&is=REG&sku=313962&AID=10603278&Q=&O=productlist&A=details#

Good Luck man.

Is it a full refund or is it store credit?
Because if it's a full refund I could buy the 580's and M50's and return the pair that I don't like as much.

And also, the desktop amps that have those tubes. What exactly are they? And do you have to replace them? 

Dec 4, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #28 of 81

Quote:
Because if it's a full refund I could buy the 580's and M50's and return the pair that I don't like as much.

And also, the desktop amps that have those tubes. What exactly are they? And do you have to replace them? 

I just got the HFI 580s due to loliwin and DVD rey's suggestions. $120 with free shipping on BH.

The desktop amps with the tubes i think ur talking about the retro ones. amplification uses transistors. the earliest transistors were in vacumm tubes. and yes. you have to replace them. they are very hard to know which one is fried though. they are out of ur budget though :)

I also have th eShure 440's which are very similar to the 840's, except have slightly more mids at one section of the spectrum and the 840's are more for hip hop recording. the HFI 580's are sure to be a compliment for my 440's :)

Dec 4, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #29 of 81

Quote:

I've been buying from B&H for many years - their physical store is not far from where I live.
They are a phenomenally good merchant.

You can return an item (including headphones) in as-new condition within 2 weeks of receiving it
for a refund or store credit.  I'd recommend paying with PayPal if you're buying online, but it
really doesn't matter.

(Do read their return policy online before buying anything, there are *some* exclusions.
But they're very honorable and honest people; truly great to deal with.)

Tubes are semiconductors.
They were the semiconductors used in electronics before the transistor was invented.

Some folks claim, however, that electronics which use tubes as semiconductors sound better
than electronics which use transistors as semiconductors.

They claim, generally, that the tube sound is "warmer", "less electronic sounding", "more musical".

In addition, they claim that different brands of tubes sound different from each other.

Tubes do wear out, and must be replaced at regular intervals to prevent sound degradation.

You can read plenty about the topic as you wish, but that's it in a nutshell.

Dec 4, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #30 of 81

Quote:
I've been buying from B&H for many years - their physical store is not far from where I live.
They are a phenomenally good merchant.

You can return an item (including headphones) in as-new condition within 2 weeks of receiving it
for a refund or store credit.  I'd recommend paying with PayPal if you're buying online, but it
really doesn't matter.

(Do read their return policy online before buying anything, there are *some* exclusions.
But they're very honorable and honest people; truly great to deal with.)

Tubes are semiconductors.
They were the semiconductors used in electronics before the transistor was invented.

Some folks claim, however, that electronics which use tubes as semiconductors sound better
than electronics which use transistors as semiconductors.

They claim, generally, that the tube sound is "warmer", "less electronic sounding", "more musical".

In addition, they claim that different brands of tubes sound different from each other.

Tubes do wear out, and must be replaced at regular intervals to prevent sound degradation.

You can read plenty about the topic as you wish, but that's it in a nutshell.

All right thanks, I'll read the policy over, but I think I might just end up getting the 580's after reading more topics about them.

Quote:
I just got the HFI 580s due to loliwin and DVD rey's suggestions. $120 with free shipping on BH.

The desktop amps with the tubes i think ur talking about the retro ones. amplification uses transistors. the earliest transistors were in vacumm tubes. and yes. you have to replace them. they are very hard to know which one is fried though. they are out of ur budget though :)

I also have th eShure 440's which are very similar to the 840's, except have slightly more mids at one section of the spectrum and the 840's are more for hip hop recording. the HFI 580's are sure to be a compliment for my 440's :)

I do have more money to play with than just 200 dollars, I just wanted to spend 200 or less on headphones, but if I need to replace the tubes out regularly I think I'll skip on investing in them right now. 
Although I did see some that were ~100 dollars, but I doubt they're of great quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back