Looking for the best Dac
Dec 3, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #16 of 24
Christ... Kevin Gilmore would have a heart attack.
He's like the Mikhail of SMD =S

Dec 3, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nattonrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't put very much stock in anything that guy says.
If it doesn't have a tube somewhere in it then it must be teh suck.

I don't really know this guy so I can't speak directly to this case, but you sure don't have to be nuts about tubes to hate opamps.

Dec 4, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nattonrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Christ... Kevin Gilmore would have a heart attack.
He's like the Mikhail of SMD =S

lol
beerchug.gif

Dec 5, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #21 of 24
The Buffalo 32 is probably the best, although some might call it semi DIY since the main DAC board comes assembled and tested. The extra modules are kits though, and the casing would be DIY.

The Gamma2 from AMB and the OPUS from Twisted Pear both using the Wolfson WM8740/1 are probably next highest in sound quality(of course this is all subjective, some people like the OPUS better than the Buffalo). The OPUS is more versatile and modular, while the Gamma2 would be the winner from a bang for the buck perspective, costing much less than a comparably configured OPUS. The other beauty of the GAMMA2 is that you can start with a Gamma1 and then add the GAMMA2 to it later, as long as you use the bigger "BOX" case for it..

Dec 5, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #23 of 24
the ackodac sabre 9018/12 dac, much easier to adapt to your liking than the buffalo32 at least for the moment. cant comment on its sound specifically because i'm only just colecting parts for the build now. think i'm one of the few HF members involved at this stage; will make sure to post comparisons to the buffalo when its up an going. will compare to B32 with placid PSUs on the analogue section and LCDPS on the digital.

ackodac will be run with a combination of burson, placid and sjorstrom/jung regs and preregs. there is an opamp stage available, but i'm going with transformer coupling

Dec 5, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #24 of 24
Hehe the monies are flowing like water of late O.O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back