Looking for the best Dac
Dec 2, 2009 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

FOXY

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for the best Dac for music listening in less than 1000$.

These three Dac I'm interested:

AD1865
ad1865

Behringer Ultramatch PRO SRC2496 with AK 4393
Behringer

Four TDA1541A
fourTDA_dac

Sound Preference are:
Powerful and tight bass, warm and “liquid” midrange, quality smooth treble with 3 dimensional image.

What DAC is recommended?

Dec 3, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #4 of 24
"UPDATE about the latest Twisted Pear Buffalo board version 2

TP added their opamp based analog stage. The bitter truth is that it sucks. The music is bad, mechanical, closed in, not high end at all.
I must warn all tube fans folks who are excited by the ESSTECH DAC to stay away from your buffalo."

Dec 3, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #6 of 24
I don't know what that Lampizator guy looks for in terms of sound quality (though his "reference system" tells a lot about his interpretation of "High Fidelity") but I can say that my original Buffalo 24 was a few light-years ahead of my heavily modified SRC2496.
Moreover, my current Buffalo 32S (with dual-mono Placid PSUs) is even better in all aspects of the sound reproduction..

Dec 3, 2009 at 11:48 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by FOXY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The text is from your link..

Yes I see now, I had read the link months ago - the update wasn’t there at that stage.

Dec 3, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheShaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know what that Lampizator guy looks for in terms of sound quality (though his "reference system" tells a lot about his interpretation of "High Fidelity") but I can say that my original Buffalo 24 was a few light-years ahead of my heavily modified SRC2496.
Moreover, my current Buffalo 32S (with dual-mono Placid PSUs) is even better in all aspects of the sound reproduction..

Did you get to try the LCDPS and LCBPS as a comparison? Just out of curiosity.

Dec 3, 2009 at 12:45 PM Post #11 of 24
Why do you place so much stock in what Lampizator says? He mostly just throws tubes and boutique caps at everything, then claims he is the second coming.

Dec 3, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you place so much stock in what Lampizator says? He mostly just throws tubes and boutique caps at everything, then claims he is the second coming.

QFT

He thinks the Buffalo 24 was the best thing ever created because he could easily add a tube output to it. Then when the Buffalo 32 came out with an opamp I/V that he couldn't replace with one of his cobbled together tube hacks he trashed it. In his world opamp = automatic garbage, I like tubes, but personally I don't think they have any place in a DAC.

Dec 3, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you get to try the LCDPS and LCBPS as a comparison? Just out of curiosity.

We are a bit off-topic but anyway..
I went from 1x LCBPS, 1x LCDPS to a dual mono Placid Configuration so it was kind of a massive change in the power supply section.
Certainly worth it. Everything is more.. "black" and quiet now which benefits all frequencies but the real shock for me was at the lower frequencies. The bass is just crazy now..
smile.gif

Dec 3, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #14 of 24
I wouldn't put very much stock in anything that guy says.
If it doesn't have a tube somewhere in it then it must be teh suck.

He can't even solder an electrolytic cap straight... I mean, they naturally sit straight so how do you **** that up?

Dec 3, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nattonrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't put very much stock in anything that guy says.
If it doesn't have a tube somewhere in it then it must be teh suck.

He can't even solder an electrolytic cap straight... I mean, they naturally sit straight so how do you **** that up?

Indeed! I have posted this a number of times......

IMG_6181.jpg

Aside from the horrible cap work, the diodes and resistors next to the heatsink are designed to sit flat.

I'm also a 'fan' of efforts like this:

IMG_4833.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back