Looking for suggestions - Headphones + DAC + Amp
Oct 18, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #19 of 32
I did, look a few replies back...

Hmm.. Can't seem to find it but forget about it. This is the one I was talking about: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-505630-Momentum-Headphone-Brown/dp/B009QV15DU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1382093534&sr=8-3&keywords=Sennheiser+Momentum

Billson :)

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #21 of 32
The Momentum look good if I was looking for an iPod headphone. But, I am sitting at my desk listening to my computer. The ear cups also look too small for me. I want a true, around-the-ear headphone. I don't care if my iPhone can power the headphones, period.

I will also be buying a DAC. Something to upgrade the onboard sound of my motherboard.

The Schiit Magni/Modi combo is looking really good as my first foray into audiophillia. Now I need a solid headphone to drive.

Oct 19, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #22 of 32
  The Momentum look good if I was looking for an iPod headphone. But, I am sitting at my desk listening to my computer. The ear cups also look too small for me. I want a true, around-the-ear headphone. I don't care if my iPhone can power the headphones, period.

I will also be buying a DAC. Something to upgrade the onboard sound of my motherboard.

The Schiit Magni/Modi combo is looking really good as my first foray into audiophillia. Now I need a solid headphone to drive.

If that is what you wanted, I will suggest you the

AKG K550
Mad Dogs 

Billson 

Oct 19, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #23 of 32
Thanks, I thought I was clear in my OP. Sitting at a desk with a DAC and Amp. Closed design since I will be up while my wife is sleeping in the same room.

I will research these. Why isn't there a store where you can hands on test these things????? Same goes for HT though. I bought an Aperion Audio 5.0 system and an SVS PC-13 Ultra sight unseen.

Oct 19, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #24 of 32
Audio Technica ATH-A900X closed headphones $230

Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card, used $60

Schiit Magni headphone amplifier, $99

Or for something a little nicer.
Audio-GD NFB-15.32 DAC/amp, $300 (shipped)
I just ordered one for myself an hour ago, from Hong Kong, shipping DHL.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

Oct 19, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #26 of 32
  Thanks, I thought I was clear in my OP. Sitting at a desk with a DAC and Amp. Closed design since I will be up while my wife is sleeping in the same room.

I will research these. Why isn't there a store where you can hands on test these things????? Same goes for HT though. I bought an Aperion Audio 5.0 system and an SVS PC-13 Ultra sight unseen.

It depends on whee you live at. For me, there are very limited testing unit available while some countries like Singapore will have plenty of headphone for you to test at some stores :)

Oct 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #27 of 32

SVS Audio. Good stuff. I have the SVS SB-1000 :)

Schiit Audio is just as good an Internet direct company for price/performance as SVS. The Modi/Magni would serve you well.

Nice thing about headphones, as opposed to HT setups, is that there are number of places you can order from online like Amazon (or Fulfilled by Amazon), B&H Photo, or Crutchfield where RMA is easy and only costs you about $10 or so in return shipping to demo them (imagine paying return shipping on a sub--lol). I recommend picking out two headphones, ordering both, and keep the one you like best :)

Soundmagic HP100 would also be worth looking into. I have the K550s. While they sound very good, many people have had fit problems with them. The HP100s are popular among people who have liked the K550s: http://www.head-fi.org/t/616201/soundmagic-hp100-review

A900X are also a good headphone. Little bit different sound from the K550s, but comparable in SQ.

Oct 19, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #28 of 32
SVS Audio. Good stuff. I have the SVS SB-1000 :)

Schiit Audio is just as good an Internet direct company for price/performance as SVS. The Modi/Magni would serve you well.

Nice thing about headphones, as opposed to HT setups, is that there are number of places you can order from online like Amazon (or Fulfilled by Amazon), B&H Photo, or Crutchfield where RMA is easy and only costs you about $10 or so in return shipping to demo them (imagine paying return shipping on a sub--lol). I recommend picking out two headphones, ordering both, and keep the one you like best :)

Soundmagic HP100 would also be worth looking into. I have the K550s. While they sound very good, many people have had fit problems with them. The HP100s are popular among people who have liked the K550s: http://www.head-fi.org/t/616201/soundmagic-hp100-review

A900X are also a good headphone. Little bit different sound from the K550s, but comparable in SQ.

Never tried Schiit's products but heard good stuff about them! Just wish they make a portable amp with a built in battery for DAP and smartphones xD

Nov 5, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #29 of 32
So, at Best Buy yesterday I got to listen to 3 headphones they had out in their Magnolia section. Glad I did. I used my iPhone 4s listening to Dave Mathews - Ants Go Marching on Rdio. I'm not really a Dave fan, but my wife loves him and there is a lot going on in that song.

Sennheiser HD-598 - can't have open headphones
Sennheiser Momentum
B&W P5

I have to say, I liked the Momentum the best. It sounded more like I expected the song to sound like. Good bass punch and very clear. But trust me, I am no expert on the song and have only heard it maybe 3 times. The only con is the small earpads. They are definitely not over-ear. They are on-ear at best.

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #30 of 32
So, at Best Buy yesterday I got to listen to 3 headphones they had out in their Magnolia section. Glad I did. I used my iPhone 4s listening to Dave Mathews - Ants Go Marching on Rdio. I'm not really a Dave fan, but my wife loves him and there is a lot going on in that song.

Sennheiser HD-598 - can't have open headphones
Sennheiser Momentum
B&W P5

I have to say, I liked the Momentum the best. It sounded more like I expected the song to sound like. Good bass punch and very clear. But trust me, I am no expert on the song and have only heard it maybe 3 times. The only con is the small earpads. They are definitely not over-ear. They are on-ear at best.

Go for the momentum if you like it xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back