Looking for suggestions - Headphones + DAC + Amp
Oct 14, 2013 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

vipervick

500+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

Looking for suggestions on a nice set of headphones. I am basically looking for accuracy and tight bass, ie... a sealed sub (tight) vs ported (sloppy) IMHO. FYI I use JL Audio Sealed subs and components in my F-150.

Currently use Corsair Vengeance 1500 USB Gaming Headset. I got these for Voice Chat while playing WoW and Skype.

I listen at my desk, which is in my bedroom. Mainly at night while my wife is sleeping. So preferably a closed design. 

Most likely I will want to get a DAC and Amp to compliment the headphones. I want good sounding music, without strain. I have been ripping my cd's using EAC @ 320 kbps mp3, and NOT deleting the WAV after compression. What is a good player to listen to these mp3's or wav's?

I listen to a wide variety of music, mostly Rock-based though. Budget = mid-level ($1000 total)

1. Classical -  where the orchestra sounds life-like, not a recording. Accurate enough so I can pick out each individual instrument.

1. Classic Rock - The Doors, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Rush, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Dio, Blue Oyster Cult, Nazareth, Jimi Hendrix

1. Metal - Slayer, Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, Carach Angren, Soulfly, Pantera, Opeth

1. Industrial - Hocico, Velvet Acid Christ

1. Most Critical, these 2 bands break speakers. And are not listenable on cheap equipment The Berzerker and Mortician. The bass distortion is extremely heavy...

Oct 17, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 32
Budget wise, I probably want to get a better headphone with a mid-tier (instead of high end) DAC/AMP setup. This would make the most sense, no?

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #4 of 32
Been reading and watching reviews on the ATH-M50. Might be something I am looking for.

Also the V-Moda Crossfade M-100. So hard when I can't listen to anything!!!!

For amps, been looking at the FiiO E09K plus an E17.

Oct 17, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 32
Hello,

I will suggest you to look into Sennheiser Momentum + iBasso DX50/FiiO X3. No need to pair it with an amp as the DAP I mentioned is more than enough for it.

The Momentum on the other hand, offer much much better sound quality than ATH-M50. Similar in sound signature but with non-recessed mids.

If you want something that offer big soundstage, the AKG K550 or the PSB M4U1 will suit you better

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #6 of 32
Thanks Billson,

I have no idea on sound stage, as I have never had an audiophile quality headphone. The best I have are the Monoprice 8320 Earbuds. (Great value!)

I just need a great sounding pair for Heavy Metal music. 

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #7 of 32
Oh, did I not mention that I am listening at my desk? Files are on my PC, I don't need a DAP... As in player, I meant software on the PC.

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #8 of 32
Thanks Billson,

I have no idea on sound stage, as I have never had an audiophile quality headphone. The best I have are the Monoprice 8320 Earbuds. (Great value!)

I just need a great sounding pair for Heavy Metal music. 

You can't go wrong with the Momentum over-ear for Heavy Metal music unless you are willing to go for the open ended Grado.

Oct 18, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #9 of 32
Open designs won't work, since I'm in the same room as my sleeping wife. Or else I'd have more of a choice... Not that there aren't enough closed designs to worry about!

Oct 18, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #10 of 32
Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit PC --- I need:

Headphones - Closed design for a QUIET area
DAC - Better than onboard 
Amp - Drive said headphones

(Does not need to be portable)

Oct 18, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #11 of 32
Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit PC --- I need:

Headphones - Closed design for a QUIET area
DAC - Better than onboard 
Amp - Drive said headphones

(Does not need to be portable)

Will still go for Sennheiser Momentum over-ear version. As for amp/DAC, there is the iFi iDAC, iBasso D7. The iFi iDAC is better but more expensive.

Oct 18, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #14 of 32
The more expensive one is around-the-ear, as opposed to on-ear.  The on-ear is supposedly less refined by a fair bit.

Can't agree more! Just to add a few more note, the On-Ear version are less comfortable, but with wider range of available colors. It also offer a more v-shape sound from what I have heard. Materials used are different as well

Oct 18, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #15 of 32
Interesting, both descriptions say over-ear design. Although, the cheaper one does say compact closed back, over-ear design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back