Looking for sub-$500 computer speakers?
Sep 13, 2013 at 2:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

kzhlin

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a pair of sub-$500 pair of computer speakers for music. 

I'm currently looking at:
- B&W MM-1 (heard they have a hissing problem...?)
- Audio Engine A2
- airmotiv 4
- Focal XS Book

These speakers are going to be used for playing music from my computer 90% of the time. Since they are going to be tabletop speakers, they have to be relatively small. The Audio Engine A5+'s are probably a bit too big.

Would some of those speakers (the ones without built-in DACs) benefit a lot from a DAC? If so, any DAC recommendations? I was looking at the Audio Engine D1.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Sep 13, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #2 of 40
I have the mm-1's and they are magnificent. If you have never heard them, do yourself a favor and go to your local apple store and have a listen, they usually have them. You won't need another dac with them, they sound great as is. They are better than the A2 and the XS 2.1 (never heard the XS Book or the airmotiv 4 though). They just have a perfect sound to me, amazing bass, great vocals and silky smooth treble. They also have a sweet spot (sitting in front of your pc), sit there and you will have a smile on your face.

I also have the HE400 headphones that I have to EQ to hell to make them sound nearly as good as the mm-1's. The bass on the HE400's is kickass though. The mm-1's also have a pretty good headphone amp in them too.

They do have a hissing problem but only if you connect the analog-in and the USB at the same time and play at high volume, with just either one connected there is no hiss. I have tried it on 3 pairs and all hissed so it seems to be a design issue. The hiss is mainly audible when no music is playing but is very obvious when sitting in front of your pc. If you have to use the analog-in and the USB, you will have to pull one of the cables out all the time. Luckily I just use the USB. I don't think B&W will ever fix it because they won't even admit there is a fault. Still easily worth every dollar though, even with this problem. Great sounding speakers!

Sep 13, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #3 of 40
It's easier for speaker designers to get more--and better--bass out of larger drivers (and larger driver speakers can generally fill a room better with sound). This is why small satellite speakers in desktop multimedia systems often have a sub. So I generally like speakers that have larger drivers (my current desktop speakers have 6.5" drivers). However, which speaker you like best will come down to your listening tastes and how you use them more than anything else.

The Airmotiv 4, B&W, and Focal speakers are all definitely a better class of speaker than the A2s. So cross the Audioengines off your list.

Audioengine D1 is a good DAC/headphone amp/pre-amp for speakers and headphone use. If you don't need a headphone amp, the Schiit Audio Modi is a better DAC (can't plug headphone into it) for less money. The B&W MM-1s have their own DAC built in, so no need to buy an external one.

Sep 13, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #4 of 40
They do have a hissing problem but only if you connect the analog-in and the USB at the same time and play at high volume, with just either one connected there is no hiss. I have tried it on 3 pairs and all hissed so it seems to be a design issue. The hiss is mainly audible when no music is playing but is very obvious when sitting in front of your pc. If you have to use the analog-in and the USB, you will have to pull one of the cables out all the time. Luckily I just use the USB. I don't think B&W will ever fix it because they won't even admit there is a fault. Still easily worth every dollar though, even with this problem. Great sounding speakers!

So if I'm using then directly through the computer via USB I shouldn't hear any hiss?

Sep 13, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #5 of 40
It's easier for speaker designers to get more--and better--bass out of larger drivers (and larger driver speakers can generally fill a room better with sound). This is why small satellite speakers in desktop multimedia systems often have a sub. So I generally like speakers that have larger drivers (my current desktop speakers have 6.5" drivers). However, which speaker you like best will come down to your listening tastes and how you use them more than anything else.

The Airmotiv 4, B&W, and Focal speakers are all definitely a better class of speaker than the A2s. So cross the Audioengines off your list.

Audioengine D1 is a good DAC/headphone amp/pre-amp for speakers and headphone use. If you don't need a headphone amp, the Schiit Audio Modi is a better DAC (can't plug headphone into it) for less money. The B&W MM-1s have their own DAC built in, so no need to buy an external one.

I've heard lots of positive things about the airmotiv 4s, mm-1's, and the focal xs books. How do they compare?

Sep 13, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #6 of 40
I've heard lots of positive things about the airmotiv 4s, mm-1's, and the focal xs books. How do they compare?

Probably will have trouble finding people that have compared all three and are reliable at offering observations. You might try asking over at AVS forum or AVForums, as those forums are aimed more at non-headphone audio. You might try Emotiva Lounge (pretty active community), but they will be biased a little toward the Emotiva brand. There is also an Airmotiv 4 discussion thread here on Head-Fi you can try.

Sep 13, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #13 of 40
  I'd go with the audioengine a2s if you like a warmer bassy sound with nice mids.

I'm not too much of a bass head. I listen to mostly pop/mainstream and classical.

Right now I'm debating between these two:
1. B&W MM-1

2. Focal XS Book + Schiit Modi

I might pick up some airmotiv's in the future when they go on sale, but for the time being, they seem too big and powerful.

Sep 13, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #14 of 40
I might pick up some airmotiv's in the future when they go on sale, but for the time being, they seem too big and powerful.

I could understand the size being a problem, but too powerful??? Generally we want speakers/amps that we can't push near their limits where they start to lose composure, and you don't have to turn them up as loud as they can go :)

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #15 of 40
Someone told me that the MM-1's don't have 24/96 playback capability?

No it doesn't, limited to 16/48. CD's are 16/44 anyway. If you really want 24/96, then you will need a dac that is capable of it (like the modi).
Not needed though, just wasting your money. They sound perfect as is.

Don't be fooled by the size of these things, the bass is very satisfying. They are small and sexy, perfect for a pc.
Go listen to them first at an apple store before you do anything. They will be one of the best speakers you ever hear.
I recommend them to everyone, I love them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back