Looking for sub $300 IEM - Big sub bass, Neautral-warm w/ a bit of energy
Apr 15, 2022 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

FlatBeat

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone. I'm on a journey to find my goldilocks IEM.

I'm looking for something neutral-warm with a touch of energy in the mids/treble and a big sub bass (or something that can respond well to eq in the low end). Something that rides the line of being fatiguing/sibilant but isn't too intense.

Coherency and spacious/airy soundstage are also priority.

I currently have the yanyin aladdins and like them quite a bit. My ideal pair would be along those lines but with a bit more energy in the 2.5k range, better sub extension/rumble, and a bit more upper treble sparkle. Basically a touch more "fun" and energetic for stuff like electronic music but not too coloured or intense to blow out more natural/nuanced stuff.

The alladins are just a touch "boring" and lack dynamics. The depth of the mids and overall coherency is wonderful though.

11609588_thumb.png

For reference I was originally recommend the penon globes but they were too coloured, too bloated in in the midbass, lacked detail, lacked seperation/depth, and were too forward sounding.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Cheers.

Edit: I should have mentioned this before. The Ikko OH10 and the FD5 are often recommenced with these descriptors. I think the OH10 leans too far into the fun / v shaped signature and I wasn't a fan of the FD5 for the reason mentioned below.

I'm also buying on the used market so I can go a bit north of 300 for the retail price.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 6:44 AM Post #3 of 7
Hey everyone. I'm on a journey to find my goldilocks IEM.

I'm looking for something neutral-warm with a touch of energy in the mids/treble and a big sub bass (or something that can respond well to eq in the low end). Something that rides the line of being fatiguing/sibilant but isn't too intense.

Coherency and spacious/airy soundstage are also priority.

I currently have the yanyin aladdins and like them quite a bit. My ideal pair would be along those lines but with a bit more energy in the 2.5k range, better sub extension/rumble, and a bit more upper treble sparkle. Basically a touch more "fun" and energetic for stuff like electronic music but not too coloured or intense to blow out more natural/nuanced stuff.

The alladins are just a touch "boring" and lack dynamics. The depth of the mids and overall coherency is wonderful though.

11609588_thumb.png

For reference I was originally recommend the penon globes but they were too coloured, too bloated in in the midbass, lacked detail, lacked seperation/depth, and were too forward sounding.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Cheers.

You can read about the ikko OH10. V shaped with big bass. Quite coherent and big soundstage.

The shells are huge and heavy though, so best you go try a set first to see if the fit suits you.

Apr 16, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #4 of 7
You can read about the ikko OH10. V shaped with big bass. Quite coherent and big soundstage.

The shells are huge and heavy though, so best you go try a set first to see if the fit suits you.

Mhm, the OH10's have been recommended but I think they swing too far into the fun/energetic spectrum. I'm thinking something between them and the aladdin would be better. They are also described as "thin/airy" and I generally like a bit of warmth.

The weight might be an issue too. I've grown to really like lighter options, or at least not something so heavy. Size shouldnt be an issue though.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #5 of 7
From what you're after, seriously look into the FIIO FD5. If you were to ask me how they sound I'd describe them fairly close to your preference. You also have two filters that genuinely work to tailor the sound.

Apr 16, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #6 of 7
From what you're after, seriously look into the FIIO FD5. If you were to ask me how they sound I'd describe them fairly close to your preference. You also have two filters that genuinely work to tailor the sound.
Haha, that's actually the other one I already tried out. Sorry I should have wrote that in the initial post. I'll add it in now

Soundstage width was great on the them but the midbass was too bloated. The peaky treble was a bit much and I also found the mids lacked definiton/depth.

I though they were okay at first but after hearing the aladdins going back to the FD5's feels like they are missing an entire dimension. They are great for some genres like electronic or rock and with a bit of eq you can take out the bloat but other genres feel kind of lifeless comparatively despite having a more "exciting" sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back