Looking for Study Headphones
Jan 3, 2008 at 6:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

StrikerTek

New Head-Fier
I'm a college student, and I have found that listening to music while studying helps tremendously in my ability to focus and ignore distractions (though this does depend on the music I'm listening to). I currently have been using a set of Shure E2c's with either my iPod or laptop. They sound pretty good to me, but they're very uncomfortable to wear after an hour or two of studying. They don't stay in my ears very well either. I'm constantly having to adjust them to maintain a good seal. This distracts me, which is the opposite effect the headphones and music are supposed to have.

Thus, I am in the market for a new pair of study headphones. Sources will be a 6G 160GB iPod Classic and my laptop's sound card. Here's my list of preferences:
1. $250 or less, the cheaper the better. I am a college student after all
frown.gif

2. Closed, circumaural - reason for this is explained by the next three points
3. Very, very comfortable - I often pull all nighters and study for 8 hours at a time or more. They need to be comfortable enough to wear for long periods of time. IEM's are out. I just can't deal with having something stuck in my ears for that long. I already have the Shures which can be used if more sound isolation is needed.
4. No sound leakage - These will be used in the library studying with other people sitting at the same table, so they can't leak any sound out.
5. Keep out outside noises - things like the clicking air conditioner, somebody eating chips, louder than normal fans, etc. All these are distractions that I would prefer not to hear. I don't need intense sound isolation (so again, no IEM's), but the headphones need to block those types of outside noises.
6. Portable and foldable - These will be carried around with my iPod and laptop in my backpack, and could be subject to some wear and tear. I take care of my things, but they need to be well built enough to handle being carried in a backpack and not break easily. Headphones that don't fold up probably aren't a good idea.
7. Unamped sound quality - I don't want to carry an amp around with them, so they need to sound good straight from the iPod and/or laptop
8. Sound quality - I would like these to sound better than my E2c's, so I feel like I'm actually upgrading headphones here. I rip all my music at 256kbps AAC into my iTunes library, but some of the music I get from other people and/or from the iTunes store is at 128kbps AAC. I would like these headphones to make my 256kbps music sound better than it does now on my E2c's without making the 128kbps music sound like crap (if this is possible).
9. Aesthetically pleasing - I would like to avoid looking completely ridiculous wearing these in public. Everybody already wears only earbuds or canal phones, so I'd like to have these not be any bigger or strange looking than they already will be
redface.gif

I think that's about it. At first I thought I wanted noise canceling, but then I read that the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7's leak sound, and those seem to be the only noise canceling phone worth buying, so those are out. I don't think I need that much noise reduction anyways, as libraries are already pretty quiet.

So now I've been looking at the Audio Technica ATH-ES7, the Senn HD 280 Pro, and the Ultrasone HFI series (though I don't know which one to choose). Am I on the right track here? Are there any other suggestions for better headphones than these for my needs?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #2 of 11
The Beyerdynamic DT770 meets all requirements except for #7 and subjectively #9. Make sure you get the 80ohm version so that you don't need an amp. I used them in the library for a semester last year, and I pull one or two all nighters in there per week. They do a pretty fine job acting as study headphones.

I shove SE530s in my ears now for studying, but I've never had an objection to IEMs for long periods of time.

Jan 4, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #4 of 11
Wow, so two votes for the DT770's. Then I have a few questions about this can:
1. Are they really that portable? They don't look like they fold up or anything and they seem kind of big. And how well built are they? Will they break easily? I do like the way they look though, I'd have no problem wearing those.
2. Can they really be driven by just an unamped iPod? There seem to be several different versions of this phone. What's the difference between the older DT770/80 Pro and the newer DT770? They also offer several different impedence levels at 32ohms, 80ohms, 250ohms, and 600ohms on the beyer website. What do these mean and what's the difference between them?

And while these look great, I'm still more than open to any other suggestions anyone else may have. Thanks so much!

Jan 4, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #5 of 11
The DT770/80 can be driven by an iPod, but will improve substantially with amplification.

They're portable subjectively, but they're really nice and durable.

Jan 4, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by StrikerTek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, so two votes for the DT770's. Then I have a few questions about this can:
1. Are they really that portable? They don't look like they fold up or anything and they seem kind of big. And how well built are they? Will they break easily? I do like the way they look though, I'd have no problem wearing those.
2. Can they really be driven by just an unamped iPod? There seem to be several different versions of this phone. What's the difference between the older DT770/80 Pro and the newer DT770? They also offer several different impedence levels at 32ohms, 80ohms, 250ohms, and 600ohms on the beyer website. What do these mean and what's the difference between them?

And while these look great, I'm still more than open to any other suggestions anyone else may have. Thanks so much!

You can read more about the DT-770 here.

The 32 Ohm version of the DT-770 may be a better choice for you if you're not planning on amping. Off hand I'm not sure how you'd go about buying it though.

Another option you may want to consider is the AKG 271-S. You can read about it here. I think it sells for around $165 or so.

Jan 4, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Paccioli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser HD25

i just sold a pair of 25's and i don't think they're fit for all night studying. they clamp pretty hard on your ears, and an hour or so was all i could stand.

another vote for the 770.

Jan 4, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #9 of 11
With a budget of $250, you could easily buy a portable amp to along with the DT 770s.

Jan 4, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #10 of 11
Well strange is it that one would study and accompany this activity with headphone use?? But to each his own, I would invest in a Sony V6 with velour beyer pads or the DT770. Happy listening,

Jan 4, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #11 of 11
I can wear my Edition 9 all day without any pain. The Ultrasone HFI series (like the HFI 700)...

- fit in your budget
- provides great isolation and leaks close to none, since they're closed
- has in my opinion, great quality for the price and your specific category
- sounds much better unamped than the DT 770 - 80 ohms, and ten times more portable since you can fold them up
- comfortable for some people

I've seen the HFI 700 in my local store, so you might be able to find them somewhere near you. You can always buy them online, but they might be uncomfortable for your ears, so I suggest you try them first.

The HD 280 pro is also another common headphone that's quite comfortable, but they're meant to be budget headphones, and do not fold up all the way like the Ultrasones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back