Looking for stand-alone CD player - $500 budget
Jul 6, 2005 at 9:46 PM Post #76 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerWilco
i think drarthurwells Negotiated a lower price .It"s like any other business

I paid 697$ for mine,but they gave me a special price ,because i had a few problems out of the preamp i purchased from them.I was able to fix the problem myself.It was a cold solder joint on a ming da preamp.I just touched up all the solder joints in the signal path hoping i would get the right one.

Lot of work.

regards

PS--my eastsound has been playing for 7 hours now--the sound is very nice--the midrange detail has improved already.

Snotty, I mean Snowy, said he would honor the $710 total price for anyone I told of it.

Much of the so-called burning in is psychological - it takes some listening for you to "learn" the different sound characteristics of a new component. During this accustoming process, the difference may even sound bad at times because it is different from what you are used to hearing. Once you "learn" the new sound, then you can go back to the old component, and only then recognize the true differnce in quality.

That is why A-B switiching testing can be so decieving and confusing. The best comparisons are made using one component for a week, then another for a week, back and forth several times - extended A and B testing.

Jul 6, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #77 of 96
It's all about Negotiation.I have pissed a many of dealers off in the past when i purchased new gear by going directly to the manufactor and purchasing the product from them.Of course the manufactor did not want to ,but they always see $ signs--.

Cattylink must have purchased a large supply and now they need to sell them.This time of the year sales usually are slow with highend gear so companies are hurting that produce this gear.

I will admit that ordering from china seems to be the best way to go now.But you always have to be carefull.

I do agree that it is hard to tell differences in equipment without sitting down to listen to cd's you know by heart.I listen mainly late at night when the family is asleep and i have no interruptions

Jul 6, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #78 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerWilco
It's all about Negotiation.I have pissed a many of dealers off in the past when i purchased new gear by going directly to the manufactor and purchasing the product from them.Of course the manufactor did not want to ,but they always see $ signs--.

Cattylink must have purchased a large supply and now they need to sell them.This time of the year sales usually are slow with highend gear so companies are hurting that produce this gear.

I will admit that ordering from china seems to be the best way to go now.But you always have to be carefull.

I do agree that it is hard to tell differences in equipment without sitting down to listen to cd's you know by heart.I listen mainly late at night when the family is asleep and i have no interruptions

Right now, they are the only exporter of Eastsound products. They warned me that other Chinese dealers are advertising the CD-E5, and when you try to order they talk you into another CD player that thay can deliver. I did in fact e-mail one such dealer for a quote after I saw his ad on his site saying he sold them, and he repleied that it was unavailable for export.

I think the price will go up soon - shipping costs will for sure. Proper valuation of currencies could drive the price up.

Jul 6, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #79 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
Right now, they are the only exporter of Eastland products. They warned me that other Chinese dealers are advertising the CD-E5, and when you try to order they talk you into another CD player that thay can deliver. I did in fact e-mail one such dealer for a quote after I saw his ad on his site saying he sold them, and he repleied that it was unavailable for export.

I think the price will go up soon - shipping costs will for sure. Proper valuation of currencies could drive the price up.

No dought!People better jump on this while they can at this price.

Jul 7, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #80 of 96
I will commit to one if a group buy comes about. I'll be watching this space....

Thanks,

Todd - skullguise

Jul 7, 2005 at 9:21 AM Post #81 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise
I will commit to one if a group buy comes about. I'll be watching this space....

Thanks,

Todd - skullguise

It failed to develop - group buy is dead.

Jul 7, 2005 at 9:44 AM Post #82 of 96
Quote:

It failed to develop - group buy is dead.

Actually it may not be. But we can't really discuss. I am waiting to hear back from Jude after sending him Snowy's response. He will be drafting an email to Cattylink. Hopefully they can work things out.
wink.gif

Jul 7, 2005 at 12:22 PM Post #83 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Actually it may not be. But we can't really discuss. I am waiting to hear back from Jude after sending him Snowy's response. He will be drafting an email to Cattylink. Hopefully they can work things out.
wink.gif

Thanks, Phillydox. That would be good for everyone, including cattylink.

I e-mailed Snowy to cancel my order but hold my funds, as I wanted to get in on a future Head Fi group buy, if it occurs.

Jul 7, 2005 at 12:24 PM Post #84 of 96
Quote:

Thanks, Phillydox. That would be good for everyone, including cattylink.

No problem, glad to be of help... ooooh, Phillydox!?
very_evil_smiley.gif
You're just playing with me now.
tongue.gif

Jul 7, 2005 at 1:02 PM Post #85 of 96
Count me in on the group buy if it develops:

----- Original Message -----
To: orders@cattylink.com
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2005 8:14 PM
Subject: RE: QA TESTS ARRANGEMENT

Mr. Snowy Law,

Cancel this order below, but hold my money for now.

Will wait to see if you will arrange advertisement with Jude on Head Fi site, so we can have a group buy there.

Naturally I want ot get in on the group buy if it occurs.

Thanks,

Arthur M Wells

Reply:

DEAR MR WELLS,

NO PROBLEM AT ALL. I WISH MORE AUDIOPHILES CAN ENJOY THIS REAL HIGH-END CD PLAYER AT THE LOWEST POSSIBLE PRICE.

SINCERELY,

SNOWY LAW
Cattylink Analog Research
www.cattylink.com

Jul 7, 2005 at 1:08 PM Post #86 of 96
I am ready to bite the bullet and buy the player. I had at least 3-4 ppl contact me on another forum about the group buy so I definitely think it is doable however won't all the players have to be shipped to one person which is what created the problem in the first place?

Jul 7, 2005 at 1:16 PM Post #87 of 96
Well i have to say this is the best digital i have had in my house.I sat down last night to take a listen and--yawn--it was 3 am in the morning before i went to bed.I think the eastsound has ufo technology biult in because i think i went through a time warp.

lol---i had no idea it was that late.I told my wife it was the musics fault--i can't be blamed.

I have spent a hell of alot more money on digital and still did not get this good of a sound.
cool.gif

Jul 7, 2005 at 1:27 PM Post #88 of 96
Yes, the savings in shipping is because Cattylink can send >100lbs to one address.

The person getting them must then mail them out or have them picked up.

Luckily, the Canadian group buy was based from Toronto, so I only had to mail out 2 units of the 6. It was ~$25 to ship them anyway.

It took almost a month to get 5 other buyers, but I'm sure an American buy will take much less time - it looks like 3 people stepped forward in a couple days!

Anyway... I am know debating selling my integrated for another over-achieving piece of chinese audiophilia: the Jungson JA-88D.

Jul 7, 2005 at 3:45 PM Post #90 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by MakoFury
After much debate, I finally went ahead and ordered the Esound. I opted to include the 120 hour QA test/burn in. I'll let you all know what I think when it arrives.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

600smile.gif

After reading this entire thread, i'm glad you made a decision. I know its really hard to put the money down since there's so many choices out there. If this source was universal i would've picked one up and sold off my music hall. Enjoy it when it arrives!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back