Looking for specific jazz
Sep 13, 2009 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

bluelight

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

I'm not an audiophile but since this place is full of them I could use some help!

So I was sitting at some random lounge bar and having a beer when I heard this beautiful music.

I guess it's jazz but im not really sure. The song lasted like over 10 minutes. There were many parts including different instruments. First some mellow guitar and after that piano. Drums were played almost constantly.

It all blended together so well. It's the kind of music I really wanna listen at home while having a glass of good wine.

Been looking around but could not find anything similar. I know it's definitely NOT smoothjazz. It was so much more refined and classy.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #2 of 18
Why don't you try some Tal Farlow, Wes Montgomery and Django Reinhardt? They might not be exactly what you heard, but it sounds like you'd enjoy them. You might wan to try some Oscar Peterson, too. He's a pianist, but I think you'd like his work.

Sep 14, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #4 of 18
Sign up for some music service like last.fm. You can listen to "stations" of artists and other artists who are similar. So for example you could get a list of jazz pianists, guitarists, singers, etc. (e.g., like this: http://digitaldreamdoor.nutsie.com/p...jazzpiano.html), start entering in their names, and zero in on ones that you like. Even if you don't find exactly what you had in mind, you still end up getting a wide exposure to a lot of different music and artists. I've found a lot of good stuff that way.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #5 of 18
Sep 14, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluelight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I was sitting at some random lounge bar and having a beer when I heard this beautiful music.

Well, the best strategy would have been to ask the waitress or bartender what it was. They're usually pretty good about that. Is it possible to go back to the bar? When you find out what it is, it won't be any trouble at all for the brain-pool here to build you a collection around it.
regular_smile .gif

Sep 14, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #7 of 18
maybe Brazilian music or Bossa Nova? check out João Gilberto.

Sep 14, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluelight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great suggestions. Thanks everyone! However many of them are way too fast and energetic.

Heres an example of something kinda like what I heard:

YouTube - Pat Metheny Group - If I Could

But it was just a bit faster and had a piano.

Thanks again
smily_headphones1.gif
!

Yes...Pat writes a lot of music like that both as a solo artist and with The Pat Metheny Group. I think you would really like his "Secret Story" release. Hard to describe but a fascinating cd in every regard.

http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Story-P...2971971&sr=1-2

There is a solo Baritone guitar release named "One Quiet Night" which is quite mellow and relaxing (almost too much for me). Just him and the guitar, the whole cd. It might be what you are after as well. Great liner notes describing about how the guitar was tuned for the cd. A great composer of our time.

Sep 14, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #12 of 18
I am 100% certain this is not it, but it's a great disc nonetheless:

Tommy Flanagan Trio Featuring Kenny Burrell - Beyond the Bluebird

To tell you the truth, what's throwing me is the emphasis on guitar, piano and drums. I mean, Wes Montgomery and his disciple Pat Martino recorded that way, but I can't imagine hearing their music in a lounge, while Pat Metheny and the younger guys who kinda sound like him generally work with electric piano or keyboards. Has John Abercrombie recorded lately with piano? John Scofield? Kurt Rosenwinkel? It remains a mystery…
confused_face(1).gif

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #13 of 18
I saw Pat Martino earlier this year - he had a Hammond B3 guy for the keyboards, and it was great. Pat has always distinguished himself from most jazz guitarists by playing with keyboardists (mostly pianists). So he's another guy to put on your list. I'd suggest starting with some of his older stuff like Footprints, East-West, Live, Consciousness, and Baiyina (if you can find it). Not that his newer stuff isn't great too.

His story is interesting. He had a brain aneurism (I believe that's what it was anyway), had amnesia, and had to learn to play guitar all over again. He sounds good these days, if not quite as flashy as in his youth.

- Ed

Sep 16, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #15 of 18
Maybe Allen Toussaint's "The Bright Mississippi" - it's been a bit of a hit recently so it would be likely to be played in a bar like that. Very elegant, classy, pretty laid back/mellow but definitely not smooth jazz, with exceptional piano and guitar... produced by Joe Henry so I imagine it's a very nice sounding album as well. (I haven't heard the CD, just a live set on NPR)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back