Looking for speakers with synergy
Aug 2, 2008 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

juniperlater

1000+ Head-Fier
I had lined up a deal with a friend of mine for a pair of Pioneer TZ-7s which I thought would be very nice with my current system, but that fell through.

I am running a Marantz amp with 70w/channel. I am looking to not add another amp.

Can anyone think of speakers that are reasonably priced that are at the same time efficient and are at least 40" tall (I don't want speaker stands).

Budget: <$2,000

My favorite phones are in my sig: k701 and 225s. If I had to pick, I would say Grado more than AKG.

Top Ten Albums:

Beach Boys- Pet Sounds
Beatles - Abbey Road
Death Cab For CutieWe Have the Facts...
Jimmy Eat World- Clarity
Midlake - Trials of Van Occupanther
Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica
Nada Surf - Let Go
Nick Drake - Pink Moon
Pedro the Lion - It's Hard to Find a Friend
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Starflyer 59 - Old
Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise

Thanks in advance.

Aug 5, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #6 of 16
70 watts into... how many ohms? 4 or 8?

x2 on Totems. I think they would be a good match. Reviews say they provide a "you're there sound" -- it seems to be their house sound too. Audition some first though, just to make sure.

I suggest you leave after auditioning though, just in case you get tempted.
biggrin.gif

Aug 5, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #7 of 16
Klipsch Heritage stuff (avoid reference, not worth the current asking $$$ IMO) is a good match if you really like Grado.

Aug 5, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #9 of 16
Yes. All the Klipsch Heritage speakers they have on their website are horn-loaded, so they're more efficient. It looks like the Heresy doesn't use a horn on the sub, so there will probably be less bass.

Don't forget that all of the Klipsch Heritage speakers are pretty large as in wide, but I guess that isn't a problem?

I guess you could move the speaker into a corner if the bass isn't enough for you, so I guess that isn't much of a problem...

Aug 5, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #10 of 16
I know you dont want to change amps, but if I was spending $2K I would look for a pr. of used Thiel 3.6 speakers and pick up any one of number of good used amps that would keep you within your price range. Something like Parasound HCA-1200, HCA 1500, Halo A23.
I have heard the entire Totem line and to get close to any of the above combos would take a serious amp and at least the Forest and probably the Winds. Neither of these will give you the bass the Thiels will.
Good luck with your hunt.

Aug 5, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Planar_head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. All the Klipsch Heritage speakers they have on their website are horn-loaded, so they're more efficient. It looks like the Heresy doesn't use a horn on the sub, so there will probably be less bass.

Don't forget that all of the Klipsch Heritage speakers are pretty large as in wide, but I guess that isn't a problem?

I guess you could move the speaker into a corner if the bass isn't enough for you, so I guess that isn't much of a problem...

Size isn't really a problem - the WAF of Klipsch is very low, but I can handle it.

I have to admit, the Cornwalls have always held some appeal for me. However, I have never heard them and wonder if I would need stands to make them at least 40" tall (listening height).

Aug 12, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #13 of 16
i am not sure if you can get them locally but look into triangle, very nice sounding and very efficient. You can buy new the non-current version easily in your budget

and you will not need a stand for the cornwalls. and all that plywood weighs a lot too.
i think stereo design still has a pair, but they would be pushing your budget.

Aug 13, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #14 of 16
Paradigm Studio series may fit the bill, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back