Looking for Source for UP-OCC, 24AWG Stranded Silver and Copper Wire
Sep 23, 2008 at 11:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

pataburd

Headphoneus Supremus
Can someone please provide me with contact information for a supplier who sells 24AWG, stranded UP-OCC wire, in silver and copper?

I am looking for this wire for a headphone (K501) recabling project.

Thanks!

Sep 23, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #3 of 31
I'm not aware of anyone that sells stranded UPOCC, solid core is readily available and I've used for multiple headphone cables with excellent results.

Sep 23, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not aware of anyone that sells stranded UPOCC, solid core is readily available and I've used for multiple headphone cables with excellent results.

Missed that bit... kinda defeats the purpose of mono crystal if it is stranded... Nate is right... UPOCC only comes in the solid core variety.

Sep 23, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #5 of 31
In purely technical terms there is some available somewhere since Neotech uses stranded UPOCC in some of their speaker cables but I have yet to see it sold in bulk form.

Sep 23, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #6 of 31
Thanks for the feedback! : )

I've seen the AHFart website, I think, from China that offers stranded UP-OCC, but not in the gauge I'm looking for--or, I cannot find both silver and copper wire of the same gauge. Plus, I think sales are restricted to bulk purchases, too, which would be too much wire for this one-time venture.

I am considering using UP-OCC silver for signal and UP-OCC copper for return to rewire the K501. I would consider--and would actually prefer--solid core wire, but am afraid it might make the cable too stiff.

Thanks again!

Sep 23, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #7 of 31
One more bit of feedback, the cable that you're describing is going to be pretty expensive. Stranded silver, in particular, tends to be prohibitively expensive in my book. And I guess one more thing, after using a lot of UPOCC copper in the last year I don't see any need to use silver anything.

Sep 23, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.takefiveaudio.com/mall/shopaff.asp?affid=26

Great site... have just about any DIY stuff you could be looking for. Yes, they are Canadian but they have great service, great prices and ship quickly.

The 24AWG Legenberg M-CRPC--"Mono-Crystal Rectangular Pure Copper"--looks inviting, too! : )

Sep 23, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't get caught up in catch phrases, seriously.

It was the rectangular-shaped conductor that got my attention. Do they really "virtually eliminate" skin effects? : )

Sep 23, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am virtually sure that they virtually do.

I can virtually do anything I set my mind to
icon10.gif

Sep 23, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was the rectangular-shaped conductor that got my attention. Do they really "virtually eliminate" skin effects? : )

The other responses got it right, but think about it and use your head for a minute: how does making something rectangular eliminate "skin effect" where the signal is more likely to travel on the outside of the conductor than the inside; makes sense that something with less outer edge would have that effect, not more. If you use solid cable and make it as thin as possible, that would lower skin effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back