Looking For Something to Build... Suggestions???
Mar 16, 2011 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

alexsabree

New Head-Fier
Right now my system consists of the Hifiman HE6 Headphones and the Schiit Lyr Amp using the Behringer UCA202 as my source. I'm looking to upgrade the weakest link in my setup: The DAC.

I'm not filthy rich or anything. So don't look at my rig and immediately think I'm willing to spend thousands of dollars or anything.
tongue_smile.gif
I'm actually a college student *cough* freshman *cough* ... and this is literally all I spend my money on; food, gas, and gadgets. During the summer I want something to do when I'm not at work messing with computers. I was thinking about diving head first into the world of circuitry by building a Uber High-End DAC. Just something to pass the time. Obviously I'm not looking to design one from scratch. I'm going to use someone else's design and possibly tweak it to my tastes.

"What's your budget" you ask?
I'm looking to spend at least $400, maybe more?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Alex

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #2 of 3
Well AMB's γ2 (Gamma 2) DAC is generally well regarded around these parts. The design gives you a little flexibility to change things and Ti sells some of the harder-to-find parts on his site along with ready made PCBs.

Mar 16, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #3 of 3
With a budget of "at least" 400$, you can get at Twisted pear (modules are already assembled, kits are to be assembled):

- A spdif module, a COD DAC module and a dual power supply kit
+
- A IVY III kit + placid power supply kit
+
- 2 transformers

All that for 356$. That would be one hell of a dac. I'm suggesting this line up because it's made of chips I've some experience with and like. Some people might suggest another combo, based on the Buffalo maybe. Of course, you need to add a case, connectors, wire, and so on, expect at least 100$...

I'm pointing you towards Twisted pear because the difficult-to-assemble-smd-parts are already soldered and you dont' risk to burn those expensive chips.

Furthermore, you could upgrade it in the future by adding a metronome board or multiple regulator boards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back