Looking for someone with lathe/woodworking experience
Sep 25, 2010 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

earthpeople

Headphoneus Supremus
I know there are some skilled woodworkers around head-fi, so I'm hoping to find somebody who can help me with this.

I suspect it would be pretty easy for someone who knows what they're doing. I was considering making cups for my Grados myself, but with the tools I have I wouldn't be able to make it quite as nice as this and I would have to glue multiple sections together to get the final product.

If anyone can whip up a few of these, please send me a PM or email. Thanks!

Sep 27, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 9
I been asked already via PM on this, I need some time to think over it.

But let me remark someting general: An inner diameter of 46 mm suits only for the systems that are utilized in the higher tier models, and I doubt severely that many RS1 or MS Pro owners would rib their systems out of the stock vincinity in favour of a simple woody of the specs shown above. If you want something for the "plebs" (SR60, MS1 & alike), you gotta redesign it to an inner diameter of 50,5 mm and resulting different proportions.

Sep 27, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for that information. When I was working that up I saw somewhere that the drivers were 46mm diameter for the lower end Grado models, but it's entirely possible it was wrong or I read/copied something wrong. I can't even find where I found that information now. But just to make sure I understand correctly, you're saying that the drivers for the SR-60, 80, MS1, and others in that range are 50.5mm?

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 9
Sep 30, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #5 of 9
Ah, but that's with the driver still in its shell.
The thought was to extract it from this, leaving you with essentially a pair of drivers.

Or did I misunderstand the drawing? It's mainly the lip for attaching the cushions that led me to believe this.
In this case 46mm seems about right.

Sep 30, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #6 of 9
Nope, for some reason I don't quite understand, the smaller models need their plastic sound chambers to sound reasonable. I built NoXter a ~46mm woody some months ago, we digged his systems out of the chamber and placed them directly in the wood vincinity - sounded absolutely horrible.

I do know that Bilavideo had different findings (on a lot of things), maybe they have different acoustical conditions due to excessive weapon possession over there
tongue.gif

Sep 30, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
Ah, but that's with the driver still in its shell.
The thought was to extract it from this, leaving you with essentially a pair of drivers.

Or did I misunderstand the drawing? It's mainly the lip for attaching the cushions that led me to believe this.
In this case 46mm seems about right.

Yes, this was what I was planning on originally. Interesting that your findings and Bilavideos are so different, nickchen. I don't know what to do anymore!
tongue.gif

Sep 30, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #9 of 9
No intention of highjacking this thread, only wanted to get quick yes or no on this and figured since there are users with wood experience looking at this thread...

I have been making custom cables from some very high tech mil-spec wire and not very pleased with the RCA Connector cover/shields that come with the connectors I have been buying.

I would like to see if someone can make me wooden connector covers. I can provide specs, like I said do not want to burst into this thread.

But if you can, and are interested, please PM me.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming....Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back