Looking For Some VERY Haunting Music...
Oct 5, 2004 at 2:30 AM Post #31 of 52
Don't forget Skepticism!!!

Awesome Doom Metal band, very slow and very creepy
evil_smiley.gif

Learn more and hear samples here:

http://www.farmakon.com/

Oct 5, 2004 at 3:19 AM Post #32 of 52
I can't recall who it was, but someone else on HeadFi drew my attention to the German "doom-jazz" trio Bohren & der Club of Gore. It's slow, damn slow. Crushingly slow, and yes - haunting too!

If you like that, then you may also like the less-doomy, but no-less haunting Australian jazz trio, The Necks.

Oct 5, 2004 at 6:33 AM Post #33 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb
I have got to limit the frequency of my visits here. After reading this thread I ordered Shape of Despair, Elend, and two Dirty Three discs. I hope they're good! Many of the descriptions were intriguing. I'm a big Pink Floyd and nine inch nails fan. I have really liked Chris Vrenna's band Tweaker's two discs.
rolleyes.gif

What Elend album did you order? Their 90s material is vastly different from the new stuff, which I like more.

I'll second Skepticism. It's not as easy to get into as Shape of Despair in example, but for a dedicated listener, farmakon can be a really scary experience.

Eyeteeth, welcome to the world of doom
wink.gif

Oct 5, 2004 at 12:19 PM Post #34 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher
wink.gif

Well I did get the whole My Dying Bride catalogue last January, but that's it so I was due for some more doom.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 5, 2004 at 10:03 PM Post #35 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher
What Elend album did you order? Their 90s material is vastly different from the new stuff, which I like more.

I'll second Skepticism. It's not as easy to get into as Shape of Despair in example, but for a dedicated listener, farmakon can be a really scary experience.

wink.gif

I ordered Elend's album "Winds Devouring Men." Is that a good one...?

Oct 6, 2004 at 12:34 PM Post #36 of 52
Certainly, as someone else mentioned, Dead Can Dance.

Extremely atmospheric and haunting. Excellent vocals too....

B000007SPW.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

Dead Can Dance were responsible for the better tracks on the Motion Picture Soundtrack for 'Baraka'. (The Host of Seraphim)

B00005M91K.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Oct 6, 2004 at 5:47 PM Post #37 of 52
My brother is a disney collector. The creepiest thing Ive heard is the pipe organ theme music for the haunted mansion ride.

My brother is a disney collector. He has a disney CD and plays this track on a loop for halloween. I think his CD also has a second recording that is the complete sound track from the ride with the creepy guy narrating.

He dims the porch lights and kids friek out. They wont even approach the house, last year he had to turn the porch lights on just to get the kiddies to ring the doorbell.

Amazing what a simple melody can do...

Oct 7, 2004 at 3:26 AM Post #38 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by stymie miasma
Be careful with this one though. My first Scorn experience was with their previous album Collosus, which is some ways is even more warped that Evanescence. Listening to Scorn totally changed my musical outlook and opened up a world of delicious and dubby delights.

So how's your Bill Laswell collection?
evil_smiley.gif

-jar

Oct 7, 2004 at 7:51 AM Post #39 of 52
Mark Snow comes to mind instantly, if you don't know him by name you probably know his most famous work, The X-Files theme. He definitely has a penchant for "haunting" music I'd say.
wink.gif

Considering I try to listen to the Hearts of Space radio program as often as I can, I should know more, but I don't. Sorry. I remember some years ago there were specific programs that played exactly the kind of music you describe, you could try perusing the back listings of past programs on the Web site...

Oct 7, 2004 at 12:28 PM Post #40 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar
So how's your Bill Laswell collection?
evil_smiley.gif

Certainly not as comprehensive as it should be
wink.gif
That said, Bill Laswell can be a bit hit or miss, but seeing as he releases about 14 albums a week, there are plenty of opportunities to find a gem
biggrin.gif

I'm quite fond of his work with Material - particularly Hallucination Engine. Divination and Equations of Eternity are good listens too & can be quite haunting - in the interests of staying on topic
wink.gif
I need to check my library - he seems to pop up everywhere!

Oct 7, 2004 at 12:51 PM Post #41 of 52
If just one track will do you, I'd recommend "Rites" from The Insider OST (soundtrack). I find it a very haunting piece of music, electronic / instrumental like you asked for, with a slowly building horn and weird vocals. I'm pretty sure the vocals are by Lisa Gerrard so good pedigree there.

Oct 7, 2004 at 10:30 PM Post #42 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
You should be in sales Nacher.
smily_headphones1.gif

Intrigued I sought out the Shape of Despair web site http://www.shapeofdespair.tk/ and downloaded two samples from Angels of Distress:
'Angels of Distress'
Mp3 190kbs/44kHz 5.19MB

'Quiet These Paintings Are'
Mp3 190kbs/44kHz 2.62MB

Then found it for $8 USD at http://shop.relapse.com/store/produc...roductID=14294 and ordered it.

Thanks Nacher!
cool.gif

I was intrigued and sought out the Shape of Despair: Angels of Distress. I bought it and just now got finished listening to it. I hated it! IMHO it's is boring. It's like listening to elevator music on the way to hell. I have to give it a more thorough listen, but I was unimpressed with Elend as well. Now The Dirty Three is interesting. I don't think it would be what the original poster is looking for but it's good...

Oct 7, 2004 at 10:55 PM Post #43 of 52
Quote:

After reading this thread I ordered Shape of Despair, Elend, and two Dirty Three discs. I hope they're good! Many of the descriptions were intriguing. I'm a big Pink Floyd and nine inch nails fan.

Quote:

I was intrigued and sought out the Shape of Despair: Angels of Distress. I bought it and just now got finished listening to it. I hated it!

LOL
You might not be an appreciator of doom metal. It is quite far from Pink Floyd & NIN.
I'll state if I hate it when mine arrives. I'll probably like it a little more than you did.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2004 at 3:08 AM Post #44 of 52
check out Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Their album "lift yr. skinny fists like antennas to heaven!" sounds like it would fit your description. There are no lyrics, but there are sound clips of people talking, if I remember correctly... It's a two disc set, and it has four songs, each lasting around 20 minutes. It's good stuff, but it's depressing. You can listen to song clips at their website, which is http://www.brainwashed.com/godspeed/music.html . Another good album by GY!BE is "f# a# oo"
Other stuff from the same genre would probably fit your criteria, so you should check out mogwai, sigur ros, and a silver mount zion.

Oct 9, 2004 at 9:29 AM Post #45 of 52
Quote:

I was intrigued and sought out the Shape of Despair: Angels of Distress. I bought it and just now got finished listening to it. I hated it! IMHO it's is boring. It's like listening to elevator music on the way to hell. I have to give it a more thorough listen, but I was unimpressed with Elend as well. Now The Dirty Three is interesting. I don't think it would be what the original poster is looking for but it's good...

LOL, to be perfectly honest, I am not sure what I am lookig for anymore
tongue.gif
I really do appreciate the input everyone. I tried most of it out, some good, some not really my style. I will keep at it. The closest I got to something that I would buy was eyeteeth's "Magnificant Void" suggestion. It is very cosmic. I was looking for something like that, but more I guess somber... just for those days where you want to blast the depression music and study at the same time
tongue.gif

I play most of the music from www.billbrownmusic.com when I want to study. That man is PURE genius. The videogame suggestions from Budley007 and strohmie are also something I want to check out. There is nothing better than haunting videogame music. Go onto www.billbrownmusic.com and download the song "Into the Incinerator" from "Trapped" and you will see what I am after. That kind of music is right up my alley
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back