Looking for some on-ear for-home-use-only phones
Feb 8, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #31 of 37
Did you try the M-100? Seems like it's the perfect choice for you?

Concerning 770's: Like I said, I have the 32 ohm version. They are great for home use. But I don't think they can be useful for outside. They're big. And isolation is not great.

M-100's are great, my friend loved everything about them, except the comfort issues. So if you tried them and found them comfy, you can get them!

Feb 18, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #32 of 37
Got the m100s. Utterly astonished. I'm by no means seasoned, but I've heard some nice equipment and I have to tell you, I have *never* heard anything like these.

Idale - the m100s definitely do it for me. Not a peep from the outside world. And I JAVE NEVER HEARD BASS LIKE THIS. It's so heavy you can feel it in your chest, but it literally have zero bleeding into the upper frequencies. It's totally separate. Perfect. Not the strongest bass, but excellent, tight, Impact like a brick to the face. Here's the thing, the bass extends so low that even doom metal tuned down to A - yes, A, doesn't become muddied, flubby, or crackled. I just can't explain it.

I knew id like these for the frontline assembly-style dubstep influenced EBM but I am shocked to discover than even RILO KILEY sound impeccable. I can see them not doing acoustic music very well, but real lo-fi recordings a la "all hail west Texas" come out brilliantly.

Death metal is so Intense and immersive it's overwhelming. Not negatively. With all music, I like to shut my eyes and let the music just influence a mental picture (see my thread "this time I'll get I something good" for an idea what I mean) and these headphones are try immersive, detailed, fun, and engaging. I cannot believe music can sound this good.

I am beyond impress with durability. These headphones are probably the most durable *thing* I've ever owned, and I owned an ak-47 at one point. ( a legal one. If you don't know, AKs are know. To be crazy durable. Despite machining flaws and mass production, you can neglect the cleanliness of the gun's parts and bury it in sand and when you dig it up it works like new. )

So, highly impressed there.

COMFORT. The big issue, right? They aren't comfortable, says everyone. DUDES - these are extremely comfy. They stay put on my head without needing adjusting, the mechanism for adjusting the fit is so secure it will never come loose like my senns did.

In all, the Ear pads are fine. The bigger ones would be better, but these are just fine. They clamp a bit, but it's quite mild and just feels like a secure fit instead of crushing. The headband is nicely padded. Zero discomfort. But I'd say the comfort would be improved with the larger pads, though it's still just fine out of the box.

They were 326 after tax and worth every cent. Highly, highly, highly recommended.

ONE LAST THING. Treble sibilance and listening fatigue. The senns really had it. The song "leveled" from echogentic used to kill me. You want to blast the song but there's a line in the chorus that goes:

"....a twisted sky/weeping maggots fall from your eyes" and the sibilance is ear-shattering. HOWEVER, on the m100s, there is literally ZERO sibilance.

Oh, and if I normally listen to music at a volume 8/10, these are excellent and satisfying at 5/10.

Easily the best headphones I've ever had.

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #34 of 37
UPDATE FOR COMFORT ISSUES:

I haven't taken these off since 6pm and That's only because I had a 1 hour class where I obviously needed to not have them on.

They are not uncomfortable, by any stretch. They were a little itchy on the tops of my ears and a touch sore behind my ears, but after about 90 minutes of wearing they have gotten more and more comfortable. 

I am hearing details I've never heard before on song's I've listened to for a decade. By the way, when I listen to KMFDM, it almost sounds like there's a short in the cord, but it's in the song. I can pick up on tiny imperfections in the mastering. Amazing. 

So if they aren't comfortable, remember; it's memory foam. It takes a little while. 

Feb 19, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #35 of 37
Idale - the m100s definitely do it for me. Not a peep from the outside world. And I JAVE NEVER HEARD BASS LIKE THIS. It's so heavy you can feel it in your chest, but it literally have zero bleeding into the upper frequencies. It's totally separate. Perfect. Not the strongest bass, but excellent, tight, Impact like a brick to the face. Here's the thing, the bass extends so low that even doom metal tuned down to A - yes, A, doesn't become muddied, flubby, or crackled. I just can't explain it.

Awesome, thanks for the report back. Certainly sounds like they're working perfectly for you, congrats! 
biggrin.gif
 I pulled the trigger on some Mad Dogs after going round and round looking at impressions, reviews and tests and looking at where I'd be able to purchase various headphones (and bugging Dan a few times with questions). Only had them for a few days but they seem to be working well for me, as at low volume levels I still hear the kids running around and stuff but the offensive frequencies must be getting blocked because it's no longer aggravating. And surprisingly I can hold a conversation with my wife with them still on while I couldn't understand her with the Ultrasones. Seems strange to say, but if it's working then it's working, right? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #36 of 37
FINAL UPDATE.

Boy, these are getting better and better.  I've listened to them for a total of about 14 hours now. Burn-in is by no means complete, but they are really, really, starting to open up. 

Okay, so it says "3D sound" on the box. 3D sound, indeed. I was watching a movie and I swear things sounded like they were all around me.  The first time it happened It startled me so bad I thought I was going to **** the bed. I can safely say these headphones, though bass heavy, are not as recessed in the mids as people sometimes say, and the treble isn't too extreme; despite the bass impact it is never overpowering or distracting in any way. I have listened to the following so far:

Ahab
Skrillex
Frontline Assembly
Frou Frou
Charlotte Church
Virgin Black
Biosphere
Elliot Smith
Iron and Wine
Rilo KIley
Disgorge (mex)
Cattle Decapitation
Marduk
Carcass (old carcass)
The Mountain Goats
Pat Martino
Architecture in Helsinki
Animals Killing People

All of it sounded stellar. The biggest surprises were the poor-quality carcass recordings actually sounding quite enjoyable. It sounds like this is how it was meant to be heard. Rough around the edges, but refined at the core.  The 2nd Biggest surprise is Elliot Smith and Iron & Wine's solo acoustic stuff sounded absolutely incredible. 

If I had to pick one genre I wouldn't listen to on these it would probably be Black Metal. A little too bassy for black metal. But not unlistenable. 

And so, so, so, so, so comfortable. 

Very glad I bought these and thanks to whoever recommended them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back