Looking for some on-ear for-home-use-only phones
Jan 30, 2014 at 3:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

darwinvsjesus

Head-Fier
So a year ago I had a lot of fun choosing my sennheiser HD-25-1 ii, which have been absolutely perfect.

EXCEPT.

1. They aren't comfortable for all-day listening.
2. I'm beginning to hear a few things that I wish were different.
3. My music tastes are evolving a lot.

So, I like these phones. They are durable, they sound great. They go everywhere. 

I'd like a nicer pair, for home use only. Nicer sounding, better build quality (read: I still want durable and preferably user-replacable parts) phones.

When I'm home I listen to a lot of ambient a la biosphere, the orb, boards of canada, etc. Also a lot of doom metal. Actually, mostly ambient stuff now.

I'm looking for a pair of headphones that are dynamic enough to provide a good listening experience regardless of what I'm putting on (so, they aren't particularly terrible for one thing, we'll say) but are still well-suited to the really organic sounds you get from biosphere, eluvium, etc. 

I don't care if they are sennheisers or not. 

Oh, and maybe open-backs are good so I can really experience a proper soundstage?  This is at home 100%, so they can be nicer (more delicate, but still durable) than what I have. 

Only thing is, i've got 4 very obnoxious, vocal cats.  I'd like to not have enough isolation to not hear the noise coming out of their faces in a different from (I really love them, but jesus they are loud).  This isn't' a deal breaker, but I figured I'd mention it.

They need, need, need to be comfortable. They will be worn a lot. Like all-day. And for meditation.  It's really mostly ambient stuff I'm listening to. 

Any ideas?  initially I thought HD 600, HD 650, maybe ultrasones. I'm not really sure for full-size cans.

Price is important in that I can't blow 1400 bucks on the HD 800s, but i've been working hard and a reward is in order.

But I'll be listening to these through a computer headphone jack mostly.

Thanks.

Actually what about the beyerdynamic DT-990? They seem good for what I want to do.

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #2 of 37
If you're considering the HD650, in my opinion the AKG K612 pro are 90% of the way there (with a slightly different signature - less laid back in the highs so more neutral IMO) for a much lower price.
Bear in mind that most open back headphones will want an amp. The HD558 or 598 don't need one but would probably benefit from one.

Jan 30, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #3 of 37
yes, I'll keep that in mind; I had resolved earlier today that an amp for home-use isn't a bad thing at all.

Hell, if it really makes the difference, well, I ought to do it.

What about the AKG K702?

I guess I do kinda want to get away from Sennheiser a bit. I love my senns. Loved every pair I've had. But every nice pair of phones I've had has been sennheiser. 

Jan 30, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #4 of 37
Soundstage should be of utmost importance:
For a Huge AKG K701, Q701, K702, K702 Annie
For Bass and Big Soundstage the Fidelio X1
For Balance and Huge Soundstage the MDR MA900
For warm, but detailed sound, but s smaller soundstage the HD600/650
For a Solid soundstage DT880 250 Ohm and balanced sound.

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #5 of 37
Comfort plays a big part in this one. I plan to wear these all day for study sessions or relaxing in general. I hate TV. I listen to music instead.

I hear the AKG 701 doesn't work well for things like metal. I do listen to some metal.  I also hear they aren't comfortable. That's why I thought of the beyerdynamic 990. Comfort. 

If I get a 250 ohm set, I'll need an amp, right?

meh. Comfort, detachable cable, good for ambient/ the lows that stuff like mournful congregation give you.

That's really all I want. Oh, and I want to explore something other then sennheiser. Otherwise I'll just copout and get the 598.

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #6 of 37
K612 pro are similar in sound to the 598 but slightly better. If you're after neutral (but not lacking bass). The DT990 are much more V-shaped.

Feb 2, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #9 of 37
Feb 2, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #10 of 37
Okay. But I'll need an amp. What pairs well with those?

And the other thing is  - no detachable cable. So, how sturdy is the cable? I'm not always as careful as I should be. I'm aware of it,but I can't always help it.

Feb 3, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #11 of 37
  Okay. But I'll need an amp. What pairs well with those?

And the other thing is  - no detachable cable. So, how sturdy is the cable? I'm not always as careful as I should be. I'm aware of it,but I can't always help it.

The cable is nice and thick, it feels durable. The plug end also has a large strain relief.
You could get something like a Fiio E10 which is a combined DAC and amp, but these headphones are easier to drive than you might think. If you have the budget though i'd get a powerful desktop amp like an O2 or Magni and then you'd never really need to get another amp.

Feb 3, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #12 of 37
I'm actually considering the v-moda m100s. Not open-back. But real durable, sound signature seems good, they fold nicely (i'm not really tidy, that's pretty handy) and I don't really have the time to research amp/dac/open-back headphone combos right now. Trying to finish my undergrad. 

They'll be durable, sound good, be over-ear instead of on-ear, and have a different sound signature than the HD-25s.  Good enough. EH?

Feb 3, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #13 of 37
I won't recommend the M100. Sure it's super durable, but you don't really need it if you will use it at home. My friend send them back beacuse:

1. Ear touches the driver. it was the primary send back reason.
2. Pads are irritating and their shape is quite weird. 
3. The big jack adapter is also weird and short

And you're saying you don't want the HD-25 sound. M-100 is not much more different I'm afraid. It's bassy and treble is not very detailed. You need something else.

My recommendations for home use:
Audio Technica ATH-AD900
Grado SR 80i - SR 225i
Beyerdynamic DT770 (closed-back) - DT880

Feb 3, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #14 of 37
Beyerdynamic T90 is also great if you want to go higher level. It's just too bright sometimes but it's perfect for home use. Detail level and vocals are simply amazing. And it's very comfortable. But you will need a good dac/amp.

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #15 of 37
EDIT:

Okay. I looked at the  audio technica. ATH-AD900x, which is different from the AD-900 right? does it matter, or do you specifically mean the 900?

Also, if no detachable cable, is it at least durable? They sure look comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back