Looking for some nice headphones under €200, sennheiser HD 598 vs audio technica ATH-M50
Sep 26, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #34 of 45
In that case, unless you want boosted bass or need a closed headphone, I would go with HD598 as others have recommended. It shares some of the qualities of the HD600 and isn't nearly as picky with amplification.

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #35 of 45
Hmmm, I might invest in an Amp anyway, just heard somebody say that the DT880 wasn't very good for movies,anyone having expierence with that? What would be a proper amp for a DT880, not too expensive but just good. And ofcourse, what are the other alternatives? I find watching movies, listening music and gaming equally important. 

How reliable is buying a second hand headphone on here? 

I know I'm quite picky with everything I buy, but choosing a headphone proves to be extremely difficult. As I only have budget for one headphone, I need a good allrounder. 

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #36 of 45
I haven't used DT880's for movies but I don't see why they wouldn't be good for movies. They are semi open with a decent soundstage, and are pretty accurate with good bass extension. Not huge boosted bass mind you.

Schiit Magni is probably the best amp for around $100 but it might be a little bright for DT880's since Beyers have a tendency towards bright treble. Stepping up to $150 gets you a brand new pre-built Objective2 amp or a used Matrix M-Stage. The latter is competitive with many $1000+ amps, especially if you drop in a free op amp upgrade from Texas Instruments.

I've never had any problems with buying or selling here on Head-Fi. Make sure to buy from someone with at least one positive feedback.

Sep 27, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #37 of 45
I might look into buying second hand after all, currently negotiating for a HD650, if i can get that within my budget. I will keep an eye on the second hands here. HD600/HD650 would those be nice? Currently spending hours researching all options, much more difficult as i had expected but I enjoy it. :)

Sep 27, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #38 of 45
For movies, a Beyer DT990 Pro 250-Ohm, leaves a lot of your budget for a decent amplifier.
DT990, full bass & full treble, slightly overshadows the mids, but the mids are clear.

Sep 27, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #39 of 45
I have the HD600's and they're amazing. HD650's have less treble so they sound warmer and thicker, but the HD600's are more neutral. HD650 has a very slight advantage in soundstage and comes with a much thicker and heavier cable with a 1/4" plug versus the HD600's mini 3.5mm plug. You can EQ either one of them to sound 99% like the other, so for me the cheaper HD600 is a much better deal. Bass packs some good punch but you might want more deep rumble for movies. They have better bass than the HD598 though.

Sep 29, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #40 of 45
Thanks for the help, if I am able to get a nice seconde hand HD650 that would be awesome. I am looking for a nice pair within my budget at the moment.  My budget currently is around €220 for the headphones. (about 300 USD). 

Oct 1, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #44 of 45
You're welcome, let us know how you like them 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 5, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #45 of 45
I will, since the headphones are shipping from Spain and only were sent to me yesterday, it will probably take about a week or something like that before I will receive them. I'll post how I like them, right now I am trying to find out which portable AMP I should get with them in the future. I'll open a new topic about that in a while, I am considering the JDSlabs cmoyBB since I've read on headfonia they are very good with the HD 650. Not sure yet though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back