Looking for some nice headphones under €200, sennheiser HD 598 vs audio technica ATH-M50
Sep 3, 2013 at 12:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Niels Meijer

Head-Fier
Hello readers,

I will introduce myself shortly, my name is Niels I am 21 years old and I'm from the Netherlands. I am looking for some nice headphones which I will be using mostly for movies, music and gaming. I've done some research myself and I read some very positive reviews about the audio technica ATH-M50 and was considering buying that, after reading some more I've read even more positive reviews about the sennheiser HD 598. I can find the ATH-M50 for about €155 and the HD 598 €166 so the price can be left out of consideration in this case. I would like to hear your opinions about the subject because I don't know very much about it. It looks like there are quite a lot of people around here with a lot of knowledge about headphones. Other suggestions are also very welcome ofcourse. 

summary: What are the best headphones for movies, music and gaming under €200. 

Thanks in advance for your help. 

Kind regards,

Niels 

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #2 of 45
can anyone help me out please? There are so many headphones I am pretty confused, the only thing concerning me about the hd 598 is the bass, anyone have expierience for that? I don't care for the bass for music but a decent bass when watching movies/gaming would be nice

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #3 of 45
The HD598 would be much better for gaming and movies because of the open back design. The M50's were kind of trendy a while back, people claimed that they can beat $300 cans but they really didn't. You'll be more than happy with the HD598 since it has more detail, and better overall clarity and balance across the spectrum than the M50's.

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #4 of 45
Hello Niels
here is the review of HD 598 http://www.head-fi.org/t/574734/sennheiser-hd598-review

You could also consider Vmoda M80/AKG K550

Do you use an amp/dac?

Sep 22, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #6 of 45
Thank you very much for your replies, I've been abroad so that's why I haven't replied yet. I do not use an amp. The only thing that concerns me is the bass in the HD 598, I am not a bass lover by any means, not at all. But for watching movies it would be nice f there is some bass. Anyone having expierence with the HD 598 for that purpose, would love to hear more about it. T

Sep 23, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #7 of 45
The bass in the HD598 is solid and pretty strong for an open-back headphone, but still it can't compete with lots closed backs in the quantity department. Still it is warm and movies do sound great with them, specially considering they have such a huge soundstage. 

Sep 23, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #8 of 45
  I will introduce myself shortly, my name is Niels I am 21 years old and I'm from the Netherlands. I am looking for some nice headphones which I will be using mostly for movies, music and gaming. I've done some research myself and I read some very positive reviews about the audio technica ATH-M50 and was considering buying that, after reading some more I've read even more positive reviews about the sennheiser HD 598. I can find the ATH-M50 for about €155 and the HD 598 €166 so the price can be left out of consideration in this case. I would like to hear your opinions about the subject because I don't know very much about it. It looks like there are quite a lot of people around here with a lot of knowledge about headphones. Other suggestions are also very welcome of course. 
summary: What are the best headphones for movies, music and gaming under €200. 

The ATH-M50 (155 Euros) are way over priced, here in the USA the ATH-M50s have sold for as low as equal to 93 Euros
The HD598 are fairly price, here in the USA normal price is what is equal to 175 Euros.
Check out the Sennheiser HD558, same driver as the HD598, just difference cup design (which effects audio).

Sep 23, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #9 of 45
  The ATH-M50 (155 Euros) are way over priced, here in the USA the ATH-M50s have sold for as low as equal to 93 Euros
The HD598 are fairly price, here in the USA normal price is what is equal to 175 Euros.
Check out the Sennheiser HD558, same driver as the HD598, just difference cup design (which effects audio).

I try to see 1US$=1Euro. so that I do not feel bad for paying more money! HE 400 costs 395 Euros here in the EU.

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #10 of 45
Thank you for your replies, I can pick the hd 598 up for €175, which would be around 200 usd, do you think this is a good deal? Realistically I will be using it for watching movies and gaming a lot. Also for music ofcourse but I really like watching movies a lot so that's why I am a bit worried about the bass, is it good enough to really enjoy it in movies? I think i won't get the audio technica m50, Comfort is really an important point for me aswell.

Sep 23, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #11 of 45
The hd598 isnt really better, since it sucks for all rap, pop, rock, and electronic music relative to the m50. It barely has any bass.

The hd598 is for relaxing at home to very slow music while the m50 is very versatile. I recommend neither though.

Id recommend:
ATH WS99, Fidelio X1/L1 for bass
MDR MA900, DT880 for neutral
Grados, focal spirit one for a more in your face performance

Sep 23, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #12 of 45
  Thank you for your replies, I can pick the HD 598 up for €175, which would be around 200 USD, do you think this is a good deal? Realistically I will be using it for watching movies and gaming a lot. Also for music of course but I really like watching movies a lot so that's why I am a bit worried about the bass, is it good enough to really enjoy it in movies? I think i won't get the Audio Technica m50, Comfort is really an important point for me as well.

Currently 175 Euros is equal to $236.
The over all audio quality improvement the HD598 (mids, surround sound, treble) has over the ATH-M50 makes up for the loss of not having the ATH-M50s "full" bass.
Get the HD558, same driver (but different cup design) as the HD598 but the HD558 has little more bass.

I own the DT880 Premium 600-Ohm and DT990 Premium 600-OHM, which are my best open headphones.
But I have no problem using the HD558s sometimes.

Sep 23, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #13 of 45
Hey niels, it basically comes down to this. If it's for home usage, definitief de hd 598, if you're going to use it in noisy environments, get the akg  k550's voor 140 euro. The akg's are like 260 $ in the US btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back