Looking for some new cans, need advise.
Apr 8, 2012 at 12:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

MusicDNA

New Head-Fier
Hi i recently decided to get a good pair of headphones. I been doing some research and found the denon ahd-5000. Its right in my price range at $400, and seems to provide the features i desire. I mostly listen to rock, pop and hiphop but ill listen to almost any kind of music. Ive never had an expensive set of headphones, the most i ever spent was $50 on a pair of skullcandys. I need your guys advise on the best headphone for around 400$. Also it seems the denons dont come with a 3.5mm jack, is there a way around that? Most of my listening is done at home at the computer or ipod.                                                                                   

Apr 8, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #2 of 20
The D5000 is a very nice headphone. If it seems right for you, go for it! You can get adapter cables to use with sources that have a 3.5mm jack.

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Mini-Adaptor-Cable-Inch/dp/B001DK1ZVO

Apr 8, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #3 of 20
Thats great. But i understand one of the upgrades from d2000 is the cable. My question is if that adapter is not made the same material/quality  as the denon cable then i might as well get the d2000 model since its pretty much the same.

Apr 8, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #5 of 20
I would go for the d2k. IMO the price difference is not worth what you get in sound quality. They are very very close. Maybe between 5-10% difference with what my ears can hear for twice the money. I typically go for the bang for the buck product.

Apr 8, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #6 of 20
I'm no headphone expert, but I recommend picking up an Audio Technica ATH-M50. They're only $150, and they sound fantastic. They'll also run directly out of a computer or iPod without the need of a headphone amp, which can get very expensive, very fast. 

I'm a beginner, and the ATH-M50 blew me away, especially for having such a low price point. 

Apr 8, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #7 of 20

Quote:
Thats great. But i understand one of the upgrades from d2000 is the cable. My question is if that adapter is not made the same material/quality  as the denon cable then i might as well get the d2000 model since its pretty much the same.

It's a small cable, and a lot of us use it. Don't worry about it. You can trust Grado as an audiophile company, and unless something is actually wrong with the cable it won't affect your sound.

Quote:
I'm no headphone expert, but I recommend picking up an Audio Technica ATH-M50. They're only $150, and they sound fantastic. They'll also run directly out of a computer or iPod without the need of a headphone amp, which can get very expensive, very fast. 

I'm a beginner, and the ATH-M50 blew me away, especially for having such a low price point. 

For $400 you can get something much better than the M50.

Apr 8, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #8 of 20
olegausany, i hope you are right that would be great, ill have to do more research.

MattTCG, thats the thing i can get the d5000 for 400 which is only 50-70 dollars more then the d2000 which is not bad. I will only buy new and those are the best prices i could find.

Apr 8, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #14 of 20
The denon line doesn't need much to amp them to their potential. The fiio e10 would be fine. You can spend a lot more money on an amp, but you've decided on a hp that is very efficient. So one of the perks is that you get to spend less on an amp.

enjoy!!

Apr 8, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #15 of 20

Quote:

It's a small cable, and a lot of us use it. Don't worry about it. You can trust Grado as an audiophile company, and unless something is actually wrong with the cable it won't affect your sound.

For $400 you can get something much better than the M50.

Yes, but the AHD5000 don't sound very good out of a laptop unless you add in a small amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back