Looking for Some Input (Closed Cans)
May 9, 2010 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Jigglybootch

Headphoneus Supremus
I'll start by saying this... I fully intend to invest in a Pico DAC/Amp in the near future, for simplicity.

Right now, I've got the A900 and the DT770 Pro/80.  While I love me some bass, I find that the DT770 can be a little overwhelming at times.  The A900, on the other hand, can be a little anemic in the bass department with certain material, but are capable of producing acceptable (to me) bass when it's there.  And that's fine with me.  But now that I've got the itch to upgrade, I'm wondering how much better I can do.

I listen to rock and metal for the most part.  I don't want to spend more than $500.  If I have to, I will, but ideally I'd like to stick to that price limit.  I also need something closed, since there's a lot of background noise in my apartment.  I'm not looking for the absolute best isolation, but for me some is better than none.  And obviously I'd like something that the Pico won't struggle with.

So there we have it.  Closed, $500, capable of being driven by a Pico and, most importantly, good for metal.  Any thoughts/suggestions?

May 9, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 15
I've never owned Denons but if I were going for closed-back phones - and I didn't have the coin to spend on an Ed 8 - that's where I'd start.  Looks and sound may not be the same thing, but Denon sure makes some fine-looking clams.

May 9, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #3 of 15
If you want a more balanced presentation (actually the most balanced/neutral closed headphone I've heard), you might want to give the DT770/600s a try. They sound very similar to the DT880s with slightly more impactful bass, but less airy (go figure just like you would expect a closed headphone and open headphone to compare to each other).

May 10, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #4 of 15

Quote:
If you want a more balanced presentation (actually the most balanced/neutral closed headphone I've heard), you might want to give the DT770/600s a try. They sound very similar to the DT880s with slightly more impactful bass, but less airy (go figure just like you would expect a closed headphone and open headphone to compare to each other).

But would the Pico be able to handle the load?

May 10, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #6 of 15
^ agreed.  Denon D5000 are pretty nice for bass and do well with rock and sound great out a portable amplifier.  From MH's comments, they might not be as balanced as DT770-600 but to my ears they bested my DT770-80 in lows (better controlled) mids (more audible) highs (not shrill), and soundstage. (impressions pasted below).  They sound almost exactly like D7000, which cost nearly 2x as much.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/480354/closed-headphone-shoot-out-k271-vs-dt770-vs-d5000-vs-srh840

May 10, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #8 of 15

Quote:

Actually... this sounds very good to me right now. I have spent a lot of time with my DT880/600 (they are great!) and even after break-in could use a bit of calming in the extreme highs and a bit of boost in the bass. I don't want extreme bass, but I'd like SOME. Can't beat the Beyers for comfort, so if the DT770/600 keeps the clarity-detail and neutrality of the DT880 but adjusts the other areas slightly, they may be worth trying.

I checked out the DT770/250 and did not like them... at all. No bass to speak of and shrill, painful highs.

shane

May 10, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #9 of 15
okay.  so... closed cans, good with rock/metal, under $500.
nice bass, but not too much.

when you find one, let me know, too. 
wink.gif

seriously, tho.  seems like a really tough one, as i've been searching myself.
and the only real options are the very bassy denons, the bass-shy audio technicas, and scarce other cans out there...

fischer audio makes a closed can for $180 that is getting rave reviews in other hemispheres of the world... 
Luis (forum name LFF) should be doing a review of those soon...

supposedly, the ATH-w1000x has nice bass.  more than the other audio technicas.  but it'll cost you 600....

and, crazy thing -- your best option is probably a beyerdynamic dt770. 
but, unfortunately, the 600 ohm model, which is the most even handed, will not be driven by your pico...

May 10, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
Actually... this sounds very good to me right now. I have spent a lot of time with my DT880/600 (they are great!) and even after break-in could use a bit of calming in the extreme highs and a bit of boost in the bass. I don't want extreme bass, but I'd like SOME. Can't beat the Beyers for comfort, so if the DT770/600 keeps the clarity-detail and neutrality of the DT880 but adjusts the other areas slightly, they may be worth trying.

I checked out the DT770/250 and did not like them... at all. No bass to speak of and shrill, painful highs.

shane

Funny, the DT880/250s sound the same as the DT770/250s. You really have to go with the 600 ohm versions. With the DT880/600s, there is no reason to go for the DT770/600 as they sound so very similar (unless of course you need a closed set of headphones to keep your spouse happy like I did).

May 11, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #11 of 15

Quote:

Funny, the DT880/250s sound the same as the DT770/250s. You really have to go with the 600 ohm versions. With the DT880/600s, there is no reason to go for the DT770/600 as they sound so very similar (unless of course you need a closed set of headphones to keep your spouse happy like I did).

MH...
That's exactly the answer I was looking for.

Cheers!

shane

May 11, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:

I wanted to add (but it was late, and I spaced...), that I'm just a little surprised that these are so similar. I thought I read that the DT770 had a more 'full' lower end than the DT880. Better, more punchy bass response.
Or am I confusing it with the DT990?

shane

May 11, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #13 of 15

Quote:

I wanted to add (but it was late, and I spaced...), that I'm just a little surprised that these are so similar. I thought I read that the DT770 had a more 'full' lower end than the DT880. Better, more punchy bass response.
Or am I confusing it with the DT990?

shane

I would say that the DT990/600s do have punchier bass (not lower). The DT770s are somewhere in between (but closer to the DT880 bass).

May 11, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #14 of 15
I HAVE to ask here, since you guys said the pico won't drive the dt770/600 ...

I'm in the same boat as the original poster, and I'm looking at the dt770/600 specifically, but was worried about driving them w/ my RSA Predator. Anyone try driving them with one? =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back