Looking for some iMac audiophiles...
Jul 24, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #31 of 38
I use a Macbook Pro Unibody 17-inch and the audio line output for my mobile audio applications.  While at home I use the Audiophile USB by M-Audio output to a pair of Monsoon Audio MM2000.  The headphones of choice are the Ultrasone Edition-9 or the AKG K701.  Amp used is the Little Dot MKV.

For Mobile applications, I use the Little Dot MKI with the LT1364 op-amp upgrade.

Jul 28, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #32 of 38
New to the audiophile world.... First post actually

My setup:
-15" MacBook Pro unibody
-Apogee Duet
-Audio-Technica ATV-M50s
-Audioengine A5

How's my setup?

and for recording:
-GarageBand/Logic Studio
-PRS Custom 24
-Taylor 710ce
-Yamaha GC31
-Yamaha Silent Series classical
-Shure PG-81 (considering trading it in for something better)
-various amps and pedals

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #33 of 38
Nice clean setup caldool!

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #34 of 38
I wouldn't bother with the Halide for use with such low-end gear. It's crazy. Buy a better DAC with your money.

Jul 31, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #35 of 38

Quote:
I wouldn't bother with the Halide for use with such low-end gear. It's crazy. Buy a better DAC with your money.

Hey Now,

Thanks for setting me straight. Low-end gear and crazy to boot. I'll save my pennies for a better DAC.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Aug 3, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #36 of 38
No iMac for me, but I can see one coming in through the door soon as my 13" MBP has been filled with music. I'm using a NuForce DAC (see my sig), sounds great!

Why do you use FLAC instead of ALAC? There's no difference in SQ. I used Max to convert all of my "old" FLAC's to the more iTunes friendly ALAC.

Any iPads in here as well? Listening to mine as i write this :)

Aug 5, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #37 of 38
just switched over to a new 2010 iMac from a 1st gen Macbook Pro. Coincidentally picked up a Lavry DA11 at the same time, so there's been a big improvement in my source quality :wink:

Was running the Lavry for a little while on a winbox that the iMac has also replaced, and wasn't completely satisfied with the sound. Whether that was because of poorer driver implementation or (more likely) a wonky USB bus on the PC, the iMac sounds a lot better ! I've also switched over to using the optical output instead of USB and notice a small but definite improvement in clarity.

Have also been testing Pure Music and Amarra (demo versions) for a little while. Both do a decent job of switching bitrates within iTunes, and while the difference is slight, I have to give the edge in quality to Amarra. In terms of usability, stability and value-for-money though, Pure Music wins hands down, so I'll be purchasing a license for that pretty soon :wink:

haven't done much iPad-fi yet - LOD to a Derringer amp makes a small difference, but the iPad already sounds much better than the iPhone 3GS. Much closer to an iPod 4G than the last few generations ...

Aug 5, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #38 of 38
I was about writing my experience with Pure Music as well, monkeygod :)
I spent 15 days with the demo...then I went back to iTunes and the difference was too obvious, so I purchased the license, though the software was buggy.
And yesterday channeld has released a new build (1.6): they have fixed a lot of bugs, mostly usability issues.
No skips, or drop-outs now, even using the remote app, and this is a big big plus for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back