Looking for some iMac audiophiles...
Jul 7, 2010 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

mckinetic

Head-Fier
Anyone using the iMac as their source? Thinking about using the optical out into a dac
then upgrading to Woo Audio nirvana. Right now I have Senn HD650's.
What I don't want is to get this awesome amp
without everything else being reasonably equal. Thank you for your esteemed help and
advice.

McK

Jul 7, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #2 of 38
Hey Mck

Well I am new to the audiophile world, but I am using an iMac as my source.  i have Max to convert files to Flac and then run it thru Songbird-->MtechHiface coax-->Audiog GD Fun and am using AKG 601 headphones.  I have to say i am very happy with my results. I am afraid I dont have a optical so cant comment on how that would sound.  

Anyways just giving my 2 cents heh 

have a great day 

Jul 7, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #3 of 38

Quote:
Hey Mck

Well I am new to the audiophile world, but I am using an iMac as my source.  i have Max to convert files to Flac and then run it thru Songbird-->MtechHiface coax-->Audiog GD Fun and am using AKG 601 headphones.  I have to say i am very happy with my results. I am afraid I dont have a optical so cant comment on how that would sound.  

Anyways just giving my 2 cents heh 

have a great day 

Same except the headphones. Also I would reccomend using Rip instead of Max, the rips for FLAC imo are much better.

Jul 8, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 38
Yes there are quite a few "audiophiles" here which use iMacs/MacBooks/MacBook Pro's. No names jump into my head but I can remember their avatars :wink:

From my research I'd say XLD beats any other ripping program hands down. Max for converting on the other hand...
Just make sure to follow a good guide on how to set it up because without using the correct settings you won't get flawless rips.
Hang on why the heck are we talking about what ripping/converting programs to use?

Jul 8, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 38
I'm currently using both my iMac and my MacBook as a source under Snow Leopard through an Apogee ONE and it sounds amazing.  A high quality DAC through optical should give you similar results to those I am getting out of the Apogee ONE.  I'm in the process of writing a review of my newer headphone cables but I will post a link here as I will also be commenting on my Apogee in that review since I haven't posted a formal review of it yet (long story).  Anyway, I will update this post with a link once it has been posted.

Jul 8, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #6 of 38
Hey I'm assuming everyone is aware of this, but the iMac does have optical in/out
capability, just have to get a very inexpensive adapter. Of course some, for reasons
unclear, proclaim firewire is the better option. Anyone have a theory for this?
Thanks to everyone so far, glad to know I'm not alone. I will check out XLD.

Jul 8, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #7 of 38
Violetta<<<

You have the ONE? Did you consider the Duet first? I had the Duet for
about three weeks, what awesome gear that is! I'm assuming the ONE
is very similar in spec. Don't know where it's DAC function fits in
the heirarchy of DAC's however, I presume a reasonable level.  

Jul 8, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #8 of 38
The ONE has the same DAC section in it's audio codec chip as the Duet, but the ADC portion of the audio Codec isn't quite as good.  However, the opamp in the output is actually a bit nicer than the Duet's output opamp, though it is not as powerful due to it not having an output transistor buffering the output as the Duet does.  I considered the Duet initially, but my budget didn't allow for it.  I would say now knowing what I know about the ONE I would recommend either one depending on one's budget and needs.  BTW, Apogee has an awesome tech support department, and I couldn't recommend the company more to anyone considering a mac-based recording interface.  the only manufacturer with a similar level of customer service quality that I have encountered is The Cable Pro, and that is saying a lot.  my review is here if you are interested in reading it:  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/501172/cable-pro-panorama-sennheiser-upgrade-cable-and-dimension-rca-interconnect-review#post_6765562  Anyway, good luck with your mac endeavors.  And BTW, please call me Eric.  Violeta88 is a very old nickname and I get tired of people misspelling it, which happens all of the time (in other words don't worry about it). Eric is much easier to spell :wink:

--Eric

Jul 8, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #9 of 38
Interesting to finally hear something about the Apogee One, as I owned the Duet previously as well.

I'd suggest going with the HiFace or similar into the coax input of a good DAC rather than optical, as the results will be better in my experience.

Jul 12, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #10 of 38
Using a MBP with the Apogee One as well here! Bought it for both recording and for audio playback! With my JH 5 Pros, I have to say, I am VERY happy! Sound is flawless!

The ONE is a great device! The condenser mic is amazing! I play in a heavy prog rock band and I put the ONE in the middle of our jam space. Quality is unbelievable for such a small device! Add to that, the fact that I can plug in my bass direct in and use the revered Apogee pre-amp! Best $300 I've ever spent for audio!

I am planning on writing a small review for my JH 5's and reserving a small section to talk about the ONE.

Edit: Just realised I threw a lot of exclamation points in there. I love the ONE that much! (!!!!!!)

Jul 12, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #11 of 38
Good to hear about the internal mic, I guess it will be worth it to have the mic on my ONE fixed.

--Eric

Jul 12, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #12 of 38
I'm using an iMac as my source.  I've got a 1TB LaCie Quadra connected via FireWire 400 to the iMac.  On it resides my CD collection ripped in iTunes as AIFF files.  They're fed via the iMac's optical out (Toslink mini-->regular toslink cable - no adaptor) to a Benchmark DAC1 USB.  I use the balanced outputs to connect to my Quad 12L active speakers.  I use the DAC1's built in HPA-1 headphone amp to power my AKG 701 and Sennheiser 580/600.  It sounds better than any stereo setup I've ever had.

Bill

Jul 13, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #15 of 38
It's good to finally hear some reports about the One.  I sold my Duet a while ago while on the upgrade path and I rather miss it. The One is tempting as having a good mic handy is something I've always wanted, but only had limited desk space for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back