Looking for some IEM for the iPhone 3gs
May 17, 2010 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jazzyb1

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I need some help with purchasing some IEM's for my iPhone 3gs.

What I'm looking for in the IEM's is the ability to control volume and playback functions also to have a mic. The music that I listen to is mainly Hip Hop, Rap and RnB so i want it to sound good in these genres. I dont intend on spending too much so my absolute limit would be the $100 mark.

I purchased the sennheiser MM50ip a while ago based on people saying that they had good bass but i felt they didnt deliver and it broke within a month. I want the earphones to deliver a good amount of bass, I havent heard good bass from the iPhone through IEM's yet.

Ive done some research and have rounded up the following:
Klipsch S4i
Dr Dre Beats Tours Control Talk
Apple In Ear with remote

I would like to gather some opinions based on these IEM's and comparisons for those who have heard all of these, also if it is possible I would like to hear from those who have heard these with the iPhone 3gs.

If there are any alternatives that follow the criteria let me know.

Thanks

May 18, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #4 of 12
i LOL-ed at your choices :p

But anyways, the image s4 is a decent iem to start with.
Haven't heard the beats and ADDiems but FWIR, they suck......well at least they are not a bang for your buck IMO.

Btw. i am also using iphone 3gs and used my old klipsch with it. i would say that the synergy is rather good. But my re0 and W3 is sounds crappy out of the 3gs.

May 18, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #5 of 12
I've read pretty good reviews of the klipsch, and mixed reviews of the ADDIEMS and the Tours, is there anything else you would recommend that has the remote, mic and volume control within that budget. I'm a fan of earphones that make music exciting with a good amount of bass im not really looking for critical listening.

May 18, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #7 of 12
V-Moda Remix, S4i and Metro_Fi220i.........

May 18, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #8 of 12
I have the mm50ip's too and those don't have any volume control either IIRC.  The button on my first set of those broke within a month, but the replacement that Sennheiser sent me has been quite sturdy and it's been about a year now since I've had them.   You should call them up for warranty replacement, if only to have a back-up pair, or resell to fund the purchase of your next IEMs.

btw, how critical is it that you have the volume control? really limits the IEMs available, esp at your <$100 budget.  also, have you explored the possibility of using a mic adapter to expand your selection further?

May 18, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #9 of 12
Cross the ADDIEM off your list if you want decent amounts of bass. They are nice for detailed sound but just don't cut it in the bass department. If you decide you don't need the volume control and want an inexpensive option consider the Meelectronics M9P. Otherwise, Klpisch S4i may be the way to go although I have not heard them.

May 19, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #10 of 12
So the apples are out. Im leaning towards the klipsch right now. Ive looked at the vibes and they seem pretty good although I've heard of build quality issues and it doesnt have the volume control. Mnagali i have considered using the remote adapator but I'm not to keen on the idea.  I use the volume control quite a bit, when i had the mm50's (by the way i did get a refund :D) i found that i kept reaching in my pocket to adjust the volume.

May 19, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #11 of 12
hmm they must've refreshed it since I bought last year because mine only has the single button w/o volume control  //edit: sorry, my reading comprehension sucks sometimes ... anyways hope you enjoy your next purchase! 

my friend has the Klipsch S4 (non-mic), and in my brief audition of them they atleast surpassed my MM50's (which I assumed were just mic'd CX300's anyways) in overall SQ, altho it's now been too long since then for me to comment specifically in what way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back