Looking for some help on buying new headphones
Nov 19, 2008 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

chrosis

New Head-Fier
I don't have any experience with headphones other than the cheap ones that have come with mp3 players or the $15 ones I bought at circuit city to use with my computer and I'm finally trying to pick up a decent pair. I mainly want to use them for watching televsion/movies, listening to my mp3 player or using them with my laptop. I don't really care about size or appearance and would prefer ones that stay on the outside of the ear (no ear buds). I'm looking to spend between $80-150, but that isn't set in stone. I've been looking around quite a bit myself, but each time I find a pair that seems nice, I see reviews complaining about durability of parts (plastic joints, headband cracking, padding on the ear cups flaking, etc). Also, it seems like a lot of the higher end headphones don't receive enough power from an ipod to work as intended. I would prefer not to have to buy an amp, so ones that work well without it and could function decently from an ipod or other mp3 player would be preferable.

If anyone has some suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Nov 19, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 11
PX100s if you have a Circuit City nearby, I know they stock those, maybe Grado SR-60s or 80s for something a bit higher end? Both the SR-60 and PX100 would be below your price range though, but they tend to make good starter headphones, especially the Grados I've heard.

Nov 19, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 11
Grado Sr-60, Sr-80, Alessandro MS-1. Take your pick
L3000.gif

As Anvil said, they fit well within your budget, and they shouldn't disappoint. They are good all-rounders and a good introduction that can last you as long as you want them to (I still have my MS-1s despite having much better headphones).

Durability is usually only an issue if you misuse things. Grados tend to "disassemble" themselves but it is a trivial issue/fix.
They are by no means fragile in my opinion.

If you choose to upgrade they should be snapped up easily in the for sale section.
They will let you see the difference between sources and give you plenty with which to work as you inevitably spend more money on other system components.

Nov 19, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #4 of 11
since u mentioned movies..and your budget also.

let me recommend u Sennheiser HD555.. best all round headphones around $100... solid sophisticated build and run good with ipod.

u can use $10 FiiO E3 Amp for Bass Boost.

search for some HD555 reviews..u ll love it

Nov 19, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #6 of 11
Modded JVC HA-RX900 or Alessandro MS-1 (w/~ +$20 for bowls).

Nov 19, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #7 of 11
Most seem to prefer a sound stage when watching movies, just like with gaming. And so I really don't get why Grados continue to be suggested for movies or gaming, because there is very little or no spacial perception of what's going on in the movie. Since the viewing screen and the action in the movie is not intended to be perceived as being 1" from my eyes, why would I want the sound of the action to seem as though it physically exists within 1" from my ears? I prefer movies with a sound stage, so I can more realistically perceive what is going on in the movie.

I didn't care for the PX100 with movies, but I did like the HD555. I currently enjoy my JBL 410 with movies, very nice. FWIR, the RX900, AD700, and Pioneer SE-A1000 have a sound stage and work well with movies.

Nov 19, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #9 of 11
Yeah, I'm reading back through the original post, and I have no idea why I mentioned MS-1s... I must have been tired last night...

Oh well, the JVC recommendation still stands.
smile.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most seem to prefer a sound stage when watching movies, just like with gaming. And so I really don't get why Grados continue to be suggested for movies or gaming, because there is very little or no spacial perception of what's going on in the movie. Since the viewing screen and the action in the movie is not intended to be perceived as being 1" from my eyes, why would I want the sound of the action to seem as though it physically exists within 1" from my ears? I prefer movies with a sound stage, so I can more realistically perceive what is going on in the movie.

I didn't care for the PX100 with movies, but I did like the HD555. I currently enjoy my JBL 410 with movies, very nice. FWIR, the RX900, AD700, and Pioneer SE-A1000 have a sound stage and work well with movies.

I had the JBL 510 and I would like to say they were my first real headphone I ever bought
L3000.gif

I sold them because I never used the noise canceling I found it to distort the sound a bit. But it was a great headphone nonetheless minus it being uncomfortable after an hour.

The HD555 was a huge improvement over it for me however for the price I paid for the HD555 I was disappointed in its music performance badly. It lacked Bass badly without serious Equalizing.

Hey 1time what other headphones you got?

You ever heard the JBL 610?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back