Looking for some guidance for my Vivid V1
Jun 9, 2010 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

flyfish2002

Head-Fier
Just bought a gently used V1 and gently used 650s as my intro to head phones.  I am a card carrying audiophile over on AudioGon http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vdone&1252424323&read&keyw&zzglass=and=vinyl  but just trying to figure it out here. 

I use my V1 with both my office laptop and my Windows smart phone.  The V1 does an excellent job with my smart phone, Windows Media player and my ER4 ear phones.   I do have a question re: the laptop:

My office laptop is docked when I am in office and it is a XP Pro SP3 OS.  The V1 is connected to the laptop through one of four USB ports on the docking station.  The laptop's three  USBs should not be used when docked per Toshiba.  Obviously, the V1 is not the only device connected to the laptop - the other three USB ports are in use.   I installed the most recent version of the J River Media Center, as I was informed it offered superior sonics to the Windows Media Player I have always used.  The 650s are the head phones for the office. 

When using the J Rivers, the sound is sonically more pure, more involving than Windows Media Player.  However, I do get crackling, static sounds and break-up - not a lot, but enough to annoy.  With the Windows Media Player, the sound is not as satisfying, but there is no break-up/crackling - just music.  When I switch from the 650s to the ER4s, the break-up/static with the J Rivers is lessened, but still there.    I also switched USB ports, including those on the laptop - all to no improvement. 

All my music was ripped using the Windows Media Player set to best quality - 192 kbps.

Make no mistake, the V1/650 combo sounds INSANELY better than the E4s plugged into the laptop.  I am just trying to fine tune. 

Any advice to this newbie is appreciated. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back