Looking for some clean 110db speakers
Jul 17, 2007 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

spacemanspliff

Headphoneus Supremus
An older friend of mine loves symphonic music. His Kefs recently got flood damaged to death. He is looking for some authoritative, full range sound for under $4K.

He is also open to 2.1 and has enough amps to drive anything. Two massive monoblocks.

Since I have no clue in this arena of sound I am tossing it up to those whom have heard.

Jul 17, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 12
SP Technologies Timepiece 3.0 for my money.
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/i...?topic=41760.0

If you have the power, these will put out. The engineer who designed them put close to 1kw continuous into them, and they held up for a few minutes before the voice coil started to smell a little funny. These guys will play as loud as you have power for, and the proprietary transmission line bass goes really deep for its size, but it's not just deep, it's very authoritative with great dynamics.

But you have to want accurate truthful sound, as these speakers were intended from the beginning to be no holds barred monitors.

Yes, here I am to shill for my favorite speaker company yet again...

Jul 18, 2007 at 12:21 PM Post #6 of 12
I've read good things about this company and their DA-1:

Daedalus Audio

Not quite as sensitive as a horn loaded speaker, but according to a review, dynamics are its strong suit.

Jul 18, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #7 of 12
thanks for the replies. seeing some new products helps.

Jul 18, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #8 of 12
The Klipsch was used for years as a closet reference by Mark Levinson when they were out of favor among audiophile elites.

They do ring a bit, but can be tamed by good SET tube amps and proper acoustic dampening.

You did say authoritive.

Jul 19, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #10 of 12
Well, he is a mechanical engineer who worked for Nasa back in the early days. I wonder how much effort he wants to put into it. The Klipsch I think is a possiblity b/c they occasionally pop up locally.

Jul 20, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

The Klipsch I think is a possiblity b/c they occasionally pop up locally.

You can buy them used local for a fraction of the new price, refinish them if needed, and still get great service or parts from Klipsch on the Heritage line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back