Looking for some bookshelf speakers (and maybe an amp)
Sep 7, 2013 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ryphez

New Head-Fier
I just got a new turntable that I'm loving, but I've realized the Bose speakers I had lying around are not good enough for the sound I want. I have been looking around at the Audioengine A5+/P4 speakers. I know the A5+ are powered so I wouldn't need an amp, but I would with the P4's. Any recommendations on these or other speakers similar in price would be great.

Sep 7, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #2 of 4
Emotiva Airmotivs are good powered speakers. You can also hear different powered studio monitors at a Guitar Center in your price range.

For passive speakers, I recommend the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE (I have these) or ARX A1b. Combine them with an amp. You could get a used receiver off Craigslist. Usually pretty easy to find a used AVR or stereo receiver for under $100.

Sep 8, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #3 of 4
I don't know where you are based mate but where I live (Europe) for more or less the same money as the A5s you can get a pair of these.

http://www.adam-audio.com/en/pro-audio/products/a3x/description

ADAM A3X.

The main difference being that whilst the AudioEngines are basically a traditional stereo amp > passive crossover > drivers design with the amp hidden in one of the speakers the ADAMs are a true active design with a separate amp for each of the 4 drivers with the crossover done prior to amplification.

Comparative pricing may differ depending on where you live.

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 4
I would strongly recommend a pair of Emotiva Airmotiv speakers, I have a pair of stealth 8 in my living room and there amazing re listening to my entire catalogue. Although I can't say I've herd the smaller speakers I imagine they translate just as well just with a little less omph. Which if you are using them on a desktop isn't and issue because the speakers will more then likely be right beside you're ears.
I think there releasing a remodel of the airmotiv4 also to be in line with the stealth series aesthetic wise.

Let us know what you end up choosing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back