Looking for soft material custom
Feb 19, 2010 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

dakkar

100+ Head-Fier
Well, i've done it. I've stepped onto my faithful Freq. Crunch. No gluing back this time around...

This time I'd like to try some customs from soft rubber. Sound quality is not a super high priority as I listen to a lot of spoken words I was very happy with the Freq's 2 drivers.

What would you recommand?

Thanks!

p.s. I do have some Livewire for now, but they are not as comfortable as my Freq's were. Can't wear them for more than an hour...

Feb 19, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 13
Look into HiFiMAN RE252s; they're reportedly like "stiff gummy bears", and sound fab

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the ACS customs fit that bill, they are made from silicone instead of acrylic

X2, ACS customs are silicone.

Feb 19, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #6 of 13
As mentioned, ACS in U.K. does soft mold. Starkey Sensaphonics in U.S. also does soft mold, a technique which they learned from ACS. There are also hybrid mold with silicone on tip that goes into the ear canal and acrylic shell on the outside. Not many places offer hybrid mold, but you can email Westone and see if they will do it for you.

Feb 19, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #7 of 13
Looked at Starkey who refers to Tunz who refers to ListenHear. But nowhere did I find the info about the material... I'm interested though.

Somehow, it seems that silicone is more popular in UK than the US...

Feb 19, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by dakkar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looked at Starkey who refers to Tunz who refers to ListenHear. But nowhere did I find the info about the material... I'm interested though.

Sorry, I was meant to say Sensaphonics, not Starkey (somehow its name just jump into my mind, weird
tongue.gif
). It was Sensaphonics that learned the soft mold technique from ACS.

Feb 19, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #10 of 13
I have the 2X-s - excellent earphone which can be driven very well from nearly anything. I think Sensaphonics, with their slant toward the professional market have done their research. Basically, an amp may help, but it won't make a huge difference to the 2X-s - they get faithful reproduction of all frequencies from just about anything: stage mic, iPod, Fuze - amazing.

I have the old one with an attached cable, but the new one with field replaceable cable is supposed to be different. I've not used it so I have no idea at all. I'd like to see one.

I really like the 2X-s, but it has one problem: treble can get harsh at times. Bass and mids are excellent, but the sound is a bit softer. After using them, I cannot imagine stage musicians using anything else as they don't require matching hardware to sound as good as they can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back