Looking for small portable dap
Nov 7, 2021 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mashuto

Headphoneus Supremus
So I just upgraded to a new phone and it's way too large to take with me when out jogging or running. So I am looking for a small dap.

Here's what I am looking for:
- the smaller the better
- Bluetooth so I can use wireless headphones

This is where I run into issues in my search. I am ideally looking for something that has wifi and runs Android so that I can download podcast apps and download them on the fly and sync listening status with my phone.

Is there anything out there?

Nov 12, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 11
Hello @mashuto ! Have you taken a look at the FiiO M5 or the Shanling M0? Both are quite small and have Bluetooth.
Thanks for the suggestions! I had taken a look at both and they could certainly work in a pinch, though definitely still looking for something with Android so I can sync my podcast listening to my phone. Thanks again!

Nov 14, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #4 of 11
I've been using Fiio M6 for the same purpose:
as a smallish DAP for podcasts and audiobooks (with Smart AudioBook Player app) and my TWS iems for cycling and working out. And it worked great, quite happy with it.

Nov 18, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 11
Shanling M3x.
Hmm thanks, might be a bit higher priced than ideally I was looking for, but it does seem to be one of the lowest priced Android models. Android 7.1 though is a potential issue...

Nov 19, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #9 of 11
You should really give a try to a Sony Walkman A45/A55 with the WM1A/Z firmware running on it.

I'm pretty sure it will sound better than anything around the $300-$400 price of the Shanling above.

Nov 19, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #10 of 11
You should really give a try to a Sony Walkman A45/A55 with the WM1A/Z firmware running on it.

I'm pretty sure it will sound better than anything around the $300-$400 price of the Shanling above.
This is actually a weird one for me... For my specific purposes for this, sound quality is low on my list of important things. I already have a cayin n6ii for a dap that has excellent sound quality. What I am looking for here is essentially a small portable phone that won't be a hassle to bring out while I exercise.

... Maybe I need to just look for old used phones or buy an iPod touch...

Nov 19, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #11 of 11
This is actually a weird one for me... For my specific purposes for this, sound quality is low on my list of important things. I already have a cayin n6ii for a dap that has excellent sound quality. What I am looking for here is essentially a small portable phone that won't be a hassle to bring out while I exercise.

... Maybe I need to just look for old used phones or buy an iPod touch...

Oh, ok.

In any case, the A45/55 players are definitely smaller than any smartphone, though you'd need to have music on them if you want to take only the player with you outside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back