Looking for small bookshelf speakers with huge sound
Aug 1, 2013 at 2:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Thujone

Headphoneus Supremus
I picked up a Maverick TubeMagic A1 a couple months ago with the intent of picking some bookshelf speakers to go with it. For those of you who aren't familiar with this amp, I've posted a link below to its specs. The A1 has speaker wire hookups, so I don't think I'm looking for any bookshelf speakers with integrated amps. Since I'm not real savvy with amplifier specs, I'm looking for a small speaker recommendation that will fit nicely with this setup. On their website, it simply states that these can power small to midsized bookshelf speakers.

I don't have a ton of room on my desk, so the smaller the better, but I don't want to get speakers that are pitiful either. The Audioengine A5 has sparked my interest given the reviews and size but I'm not sure the integrated amp is necessary. Still though, I'm coming from a 2.1 setup, so I would like some speakers with enough oomph to convince me that I don't need a subwoofer.

For the sake of this thread, let's say my budget is $200.

A1 specs: http://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/tube_magic_a1/hardware_a1

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 18
Not sure if these are too big for you, but I been happy with the Andrew Jones designed Pioneer  sp-bs22-lr...

They sound amazing for what they are cost wise.   They are about $129 and I got mine on sale for $99 and come to find out Fry's had them for $77

I got sick of my giant 2.1 Logitech setup and went with these instead w/ a small desktop amp and couldn't be happier with the results!!

Aug 1, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 18
Those Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers Neccros mentioned are definitely good speakers for the money :)

If you raise your budget a little, there are other options to consider. Check out this review thread at AVS of budget bookshelf speakers. Accessories4less.com typically has good deals on factory warrantied/factory refurbished speakers. Then see this Clash of the Minispeakers shootout.

Finally, NHT SuperZero 2.1.s. They would need a sub. But in fact, you could add a Dayton SUB800 to any of these speakers to get some extra low end.

Aug 1, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 18
One of the main reasons I went with the Pioneers is that they hit the 50-55Hz range and I found they produced enough bass to not sound flat and not require a sub.... Now they aren't going to rock the walls BUT for near field use I feel they work really well...

I was a bit limited for places to shop for cheap bookshelf's so I got these at Best Buy and of all the ones they had on demo, these sounded the best for the money.....

Aug 1, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #7 of 18
No such thing as small speakers with huge sound. The best you can do is get good small speakers and augment them with a sub woofer under your desk. I have one setup that is Energy RC1 and Energy sub 8" and it sounds very good. Much better than another computer setup I have that is just Paradigm Titan speakers and no sub. Energy setup cost me $800.00 though, before taxes.

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #8 of 18
Thank you for the suggestions! Now I got some reading to do... Also, how do I hook up a subwoofer to this amp?

The Dayton SUB800 has speaker level inputs and outputs on the back. You run the speaker out from the amp to the subwoofer speaker inputs, and the speaker outputs on the sub to the speakers. That passes through the amplified output to the speakers, but lets the sub get the audio it needs to use with its amp.

If you go with another sub, be sure to get one with that feature.

Aug 6, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:
The Dayton SUB800 has speaker level inputs and outputs on the back. You run the speaker out from the amp to the subwoofer speaker inputs, and the speaker outputs on the sub to the speakers. That passes through the amplified output to the speakers, but lets the sub get the audio it needs to use with its amp.

If you go with another sub, be sure to get one with that feature.

Ahhhh. I hadn't looked closely at it. That is a cool feature for sure! Now I really really don't know what I want... Thanks for the help, everyone.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 6, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:
What about the Audioengine P4? I've heard the A5s and they are quite good, and apparently the P4s sound similar but are passive. They are slightly more, but Audioengine do a 30 day audition.

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-P4

They sound quite good for the price/size, and rather 'big,' assuming your definition of 'big' isn't 'bass, bass, bass.' They have their faults, in that they definitely sound like two-way speakers (meaning, they sound like a crossover, transitions can be funny, male vocals get lost sometimes), and they also definitely sound ported (occasionally ever-so-slightly buzzy). But if you don't mind the sound of ported, two-way speakers, I think they pack a lot of punch. You're not going to feel those low organ notes, but they deliver an impressively cohesive and full sound for the majority of listening.

Aug 6, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by brhfl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What about the Audioengine P4? I've heard the A5s and they are quite good, and apparently the P4s sound similar but are passive. They are slightly more, but Audioengine do a 30 day audition.

They sound quite good for the price/size, and rather 'big,' assuming your definition of 'big' isn't 'bass, bass, bass.' They have their faults, in that they definitely sound like two-way speakers (meaning, they sound like a crossover, transitions can be funny, male vocals get lost sometimes), and they also definitely sound ported (occasionally ever-so-slightly buzzy). But if you don't mind the sound of ported, two-way speakers, I think they pack a lot of punch. You're not going to feel those low organ notes, but they deliver an impressively cohesive and full sound for the majority of listening.

I honestly have no idea how I never heard of these (I read several reviews on Audioengine's active speakers but none of their passives), but these look to be right up my alley. If I want to go for a sub in the future, I can always do that.

Aug 6, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #12 of 18
I own a pair of the Audioengine A2 speakers, which are the powered version. They sound fantastic for the money, even though the price was about double the current price when I bought them 4 years ago. Here's the link to the model I own:

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-A2

Quote:

Aug 6, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:
I honestly have no idea how I never heard of these (I read several reviews on Audioengine's active speakers but none of their passives), but these look to be right up my alley. If I want to go for a sub in the future, I can always do that.

Yep, and the Bamboo is awesome if you want to spring for that :)

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #14 of 18

The P4s are one of the speakers covered in that mini speaker shootout I linked to.

Just know that Audioengines are the ATH-M50s of the desktop speaker world. Like the M50s, they are a popular all around choice that everyone hears about that is better than many of the alternatives, but there are likely speakers out there that would suit your listening preferences better. :)

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:
Just know that Audioengines are the ATH-M50s of the desktop speaker world. Like the M50s, they are a popular all around choice that everyone hears about that is better than many of the alternatives, but there are likely speakers out there that would suit your listening preferences better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Haha. I love the analogy. Those damn ATH-M50's... I tell you what...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back