Looking For Similar to ATH-M50 but more comfortable
Oct 20, 2012 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Matchgrip

New Head-Fier
I recently bought a pair of the Audio Technica ATH-M50s.  I really loved the sound for the price, but after trying them for a few weeks if I listen for very long at all I find them really uncomfortable.  

I'm seeking some help.  What I liked about the M50s is they had a really nice bass kick/sound.  I think I would prefer closed headphones because I primarily listen at work, at medium to high volumes.  I have a cheap pair of Sennheiser Hd202s and I can wear them for hours without any comfort issues.

I'm hoping to not spend more than $150.00 or so and would love something similar in sound to the ATH-M50s, but want something more comfortable that I can wear for hours straight without hurting my ears.

Thanks!

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #4 of 12
I'll go ahead and throw Creative Aurvana Live! into the recommendation pool at your price point. I own both at the moment and enjoy them pretty equally. Comparison summary: The CAL! have more bass quantity, are more laid-back, have slightly less detail, are slightly easier to drive, have less isolation - but most importantly to this thread, they are a few comfort points above the M-50's. On my head, the M-50's are bearable; CAL!'s nearly disappear.

Another caveat is that the CAL's are supra-aural for some, circum-aural for others. If you have larger ears, they may be less comfortable. Good luck bru!

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #5 of 12
I own the Philips Cityscape Uptown and I can say they seal very well. Great warm sound. I'd say the only differences between the M50 and Uptown is that the M50 has deeper bass and the Uptowns have a less recessed mids. The Uptowns although still have good punchy bass when you want them to have it. 

On comfort, I'd say the Uptowns are very comfortable. @ the SRH840, I've read reviews where they clamp your head, thus not what you would want. I've just read reviews from Amazon and a few other places saying comfort isn't the greatest with the SRH840, although I will not say they can't be comfy because I have not used a pair and only tried a pair of SRH 440 for a few minutes at Guitar Center.

All in all, my expierence with the Uptowns have been good. They create a very nice seal and are super comfortable. 

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #7 of 12
Maybe the DT770 Pro? It may seem a bit out of your price range but if you shop around you should be able to find some. I got mine off eBay for 130 very lightly used...be sure to get the 80ohm though if you are not amping them.

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #8 of 12
DT770 Pro 80 has a similar sound to the ATH-M50, with less clamp from the soft velour earpads. Vinyl pads are available from Beyerdynamic's website if you prefer vinyl/pleather over velour. The earcups are much deeper than the M50, so your ears have some room to breathe inside. This also contributes to a significantly wider soundstage than the M50.

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
+1 for the DT770 Pro

I'll also throw in the Denon D2Ks if you can afford a pair of those.

There's sound leakage on the D2k headphones, need to turn down the volume. 

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

There's sound leakage on the D2k headphones, need to turn down the volume. 

There's also quite a bit of sound leakage in the M-50s as well. Don't see how that should affect the OP's consideration. Also just something I did with my M-50s for better comfort is replace the ear cups for the Shure SRH940 Velour Cups. They made a substantial difference for me, the down side to that is that they leak a bit more sound because of the velour.

I'd also suggest the CAL! just because they seem to fit your bill and they are very reasonably priced. They have said to have similar sound to the M-50s.

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
There's also quite a bit of sound leakage in the M-50s as well. Don't see how there is any difference with the D2Ks.

Not much like on the Denons Imo. 
The are even considered Semi-open headphones. 

Sound-wise the denons are better though. If op can deal with moderate/low volume levels he will be good. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back