Looking for similar sounding cIEM as UM Merlin with less sound leakage
Mar 17, 2014 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

aLm0sT

100+ Head-Fier
Due to an ear infection I was forced to stay away from IEMs for quite a while and could only over-ear headphones. Over time I started to prefer over-ear headphones over IEMs out of comfort which eventually even made me sell my UM Merlin. 

Just lately I have been thinking back on how much I enjoyed the sound of the UM Merlin´s and the benefits that come with a cIEM (isolation and portability). So I am now in for a new cIEM. Since I have stayed away from this forum for some time (financial reasons 
rolleyes.gif
) I am not up to date on the products that have been launched since which is where I need your help.

The main music genres I listen to are hip hop and RnB. Occasionally also some acoustic and songs with female vocals.
So lows and mids are very important to me. 

Here`s what I liked/disliked about the Merlin: 

PRO
- fantastic bass (incredibly deep and fast while still being clean)
- highs were very good without any harshness
- wide soundstage
- VERY engaging and easy to listen to for hours
- build quality

CONTRA
- Mid-range was good but as in project96´s review, compared to the Miracle and a couple other IEMs it is a bit more laid back and not quite as clean and fast as I wished
- sound leakage! I do travel a lot and even when listening on moderate volume, due to the vent people in the airplane sitting right next to me were able to tell what I was listening to which is a no-go for me

Overall though, the Merlin´s sound was just so engaging and was able to pull me right into the song every time I listened to them. Also I could listen to them for hours without getting fatigued. The only big problem that is holding me back from purchasing them again is it´s sound leakage. 

So what I´m looking for is a similar sounding cIEM as the Merlin with less leakage (unfortunately that means no dynamic drivers) and ideally a slightly more forward mid-range. 

Looking forward for your recommendations! 

P.S: Also owned the JH16, but I much preferred the Merlins musicality over them. While the JH16´s were more accurate, they sounded somewhat artificial and boring to me. Very "cold" and analytical. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back