1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for similar sounding cIEM as UM Merlin with less sound leakage

1. aLm0sT
    Due to an ear infection I was forced to stay away from IEMs for quite a while and could only over-ear headphones. Over time I started to prefer over-ear headphones over IEMs out of comfort which eventually even made me sell my UM Merlin. 

Just lately I have been thinking back on how much I enjoyed the sound of the UM Merlin´s and the benefits that come with a cIEM (isolation and portability). So I am now in for a new cIEM. Since I have stayed away from this forum for some time (financial reasons [​IMG]) I am not up to date on the products that have been launched since which is where I need your help.

The main music genres I listen to are hip hop and RnB. Occasionally also some acoustic and songs with female vocals.
    So lows and mids are very important to me. 

Here`s what I liked/disliked about the Merlin: 

PRO
    - fantastic bass (incredibly deep and fast while still being clean)
    - highs were very good without any harshness
    - wide soundstage
    - VERY engaging and easy to listen to for hours
    - build quality

CONTRA
    - Mid-range was good but as in project96´s review, compared to the Miracle and a couple other IEMs it is a bit more laid back and not quite as clean and fast as I wished
    - sound leakage! I do travel a lot and even when listening on moderate volume, due to the vent people in the airplane sitting right next to me were able to tell what I was listening to which is a no-go for me

Overall though, the Merlin´s sound was just so engaging and was able to pull me right into the song every time I listened to them. Also I could listen to them for hours without getting fatigued. The only big problem that is holding me back from purchasing them again is it´s sound leakage. 

So what I´m looking for is a similar sounding cIEM as the Merlin with less leakage (unfortunately that means no dynamic drivers) and ideally a slightly more forward mid-range. 

Looking forward for your recommendations! 

P.S: Also owned the JH16, but I much preferred the Merlins musicality over them. While the JH16´s were more accurate, they sounded somewhat artificial and boring to me. Very "cold" and analytical.