Looking for Sennheiser HD650 alternatives that are closed.
Feb 7, 2020 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

algloom

New Head-Fier
Hello. Before buying new headphones I would like to get some advice.

I'm currently using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 to power my headphones and Sennheiser HD650. I love how Sennheiser HD650 sounds, how comfortable they are and that they have a detachable cable. However I have one major problem. They are open. I live in a somewhat noisy household and would just like to tune out for a little time, with listening to headphones that block out some of the sound. So I was thinking that maybe I should buy a different set of headphones that are closed.

My budget is from 300€ to 600€. I can pay more if the headphones are worth it. However I'm looking for something that is good value for money. If possible, I obviously would prefer to pay less.

Can I get headphones in that range that have a detachable cable, are comfortable, are closed and sound nice? I'd really be thankful for any Sennheiser HD650 alternative suggestions. I'm open to all suggestions.

Thank you so much for reading my post. If you have any ideas then please post them.

Feb 8, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #2 of 14
Aeon Flow Closed
Great sound, closed and seal away sound, superb build quality. Detachable cable and they are planars so you will have that experience to look forward to.

Feb 9, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #3 of 14
Budget option, Soundmagic HP151 headphones.

Feb 9, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #5 of 14
Sennheiser HD250. Theyre old,discontinued and absolutely superb. You will need to buy used,but they can usually be had for fairly cheap.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-hd250-linear-impressions-micro-thread.845221/page-15

The member who started this thread claims the HD250 sounds similar to the HD650. I do not agree. IMO the HD250 blows the HD650 out of the water. I sold my 650s as they were just collecting dust once I got my 250.

Heres a video review I made for my YouTube channel awhile back.

Feb 9, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #7 of 14
Feb 10, 2020 at 5:44 AM Post #8 of 14
I read that Aeon Flow Closed are overpriced and overrated. Can anyone who has used them comment?

Soundmagic HP151 seems very interesting. I did some searching and seems that they aren't selling the replacement cables anymore. Do you happen to know any retailers who still sell those cables?

Beyerdynamic DT 150 seems real interesting.

Thank you for suggestion Sennheiser HD250. I checked ebay and they sell for around 150€+30€ postage. I'm worried that if the cables break I'll be in trouble and cant find replacements.

ZMF Atticus seem real good. However I saw them used on ebay for more than 1200€, that's sadly out of my budget.

Feb 10, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #9 of 14
I read that Aeon Flow Closed are overpriced and overrated. Can anyone who has used them comment?
They have a nice overall tone,but they lack bass slam,rumble and texture.
Thank you for suggestion Sennheiser HD250. I checked ebay and they sell for around 150€+30€ postage. I'm worried that if the cables break I'll be in trouble and cant find replacements.
Some claim that the cables used by the HD6xx/600/650 will work with the HD250s. I havent tried myself. Perhaps ask in the thread I linked above.
ZMF Atticus seem real good. However I saw them used on ebay for more than 1200€, that's sadly out of my budget.

Buying from eBay should be a last resort for headphones. Try the classified section here or on headphones.com
Much better prices.

For example:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-atticus.925059/

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #14 of 14

It would be very surprising to find any pair of Sennheisers that parts aren't available. Anyway it looks like the HD 600 connectors which are very available and used on many current production headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back