Looking for second pair of cans.
Nov 28, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 17
I already have a pair of Modhouse argon mk3s and a schiit magnious and modious stack. I’m looking for a second pair of headphones and idk where to start. Any help is ideas are helpful. Thanks in advance.

You'd typically start with a budget and where you'd be listening, what type of music or your preferred sound signature. Do you want more detail, more bass, more natural timbre, are you open to EQ, lots of factors. And are you willing to buy pre owned.

Nov 29, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #3 of 17
I agree budget is a huge factor here, but I suggest try something that is different from your current one. I'm not familiar with Modhouse argon mk3s, but search found that this is a close-back with warm and dark sound signature. So you may want to try an open back with a brighter sound. I recommend you check Beyerdynamic ones fitting your budget. If you can test those in local stores, that'll be quite good as you may not get used to that sound signature.

Nov 29, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #5 of 17
I agree budget is a huge factor here, but I suggest try something that is different from your current one. I'm not familiar with Modhouse argon mk3s, but search found that this is a close-back with warm and dark sound signature. So you may want to try an open back with a brighter sound. I recommend you check Beyerdynamic ones fitting your budget. If you can test those in local stores, that'll be quite good as you may not get used to that sound signature.
I have a pair of mmx300s that I use for my Xbox so I have a dt770 type sound already.

Nov 29, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #7 of 17
The Hifiman Sundara, for something very different but still good. The new Fiio FT5 should be similar and is getting good feedback from what I've seen.
Sash-audio had also grabbed my attention with great feedback and being something quite niche, which I find super interesting 😊

Nov 29, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #8 of 17
Sub $500 for EDM, I'd get a used Denon D7200. An alternative is the Emu Teak, but the Denon hits harder and is the better headphone despite going for the same money used. Both are closed back dynamics.

Nov 29, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #9 of 17
Sash-audio had also grabbed my attention

I own the SASH Tres 45ohm. Love them, but the upper mids and treble can feel a little veiled at times. If someone is into "V-shaped" tuning it's definitely something you will notice. Apparently the new Tres SE has a more assertive, impactful presentation.

edm hip hop and rock

Give me a couple example songs and I can have a listen with my Tres and share my impressions. I also have a review posted where I compare to some other headphones.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #10 of 17
Maybe the trusty dt 1990 pro would also be something you could look into. I would think of them as semi-open headphones with the brighter signature but could take to EQ good as well. Something different and under $500, even less in the secondhand market.

Nov 29, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #11 of 17
I own the SASH Tres 45ohm. Love them, but the upper mids and treble can feel a little veiled at times. If someone is into "V-shaped" tuning it's definitely something you will notice. Apparently the new Tres SE has a more assertive, impactful presentation.

Give me a couple example songs and I can have a listen with my Tres and share my impressions. I also have a review posted where I compare to some other headphones.
Anything from Travis Scott or crankdat are 2 varying things. Maybe some Metallica too

Dec 1, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #12 of 17
Anything from Travis Scott or crankdat are 2 varying things. Maybe some Metallica too

A bit of a delay in getting around to this, but I had a quick listening session and gathered some impressions.

I randomly picked 1 track from each of the artists you listed and listened to them with my Beyerdynamic DT-880/600 and my SASH Tres, since those are the two most "opposite" headphones in my collection.

Travis Scott: MELTDOWN

• DT-880s have a very bright, open sound with lots of staccato to the cymbal hits, etc. By contrast, the Tres is more relaxed and the timbre is more focused on the vocals
  • Tres reaches deeper into the bass. Sub-bass is presented cleanly but not with "movie theatre rumble" if that's what you're after. 880's can't touch the bass performance of the Tres here (or on any other song for that matter)

CrankDat: HEAT

• First off, I should say this style of music really isn't my thing, and the snappy, treble-forward presentation of the DT-880 made it frankly unlistenable to me. With the Tres, the relatively relaxed presentation took the edge off and gave my brain enough of a break that I could actually put in some time
  • The organic midrange timbre of the Tres plays well against all the electronic effects
  • Tres is able to control the bass effortlessly - they never put a foot wrong

Metallica: Nothing Else Matters​

• The DT-880 really shines on tracks like these, with lots of life and sparkle in the guitar and an immersive soundstage. The Tres is comparatively more intimate and contained in its presentation, especially from the upper mids up into the treble
  • Tres has nice note weight and a rounder, fuller feeling
  • The bass guitar line is gorgeous in the Tres
  • Sibilance of the cymbals is quite pulled back in the Tres

Dec 2, 2023 at 12:05 AM Post #13 of 17
A bit of a delay in getting around to this, but I had a quick listening session and gathered some impressions.

I randomly picked 1 track from each of the artists you listed and listened to them with my Beyerdynamic DT-880/600 and my SASH Tres, since those are the two most "opposite" headphones in my collection.

Travis Scott: MELTDOWN

• DT-880s have a very bright, open sound with lots of staccato to the cymbal hits, etc. By contrast, the Tres is more relaxed and the timbre is more focused on the vocals
  • Tres reaches deeper into the bass. Sub-bass is presented cleanly but not with "movie theatre rumble" if that's what you're after. 880's can't touch the bass performance of the Tres here (or on any other song for that matter)

CrankDat: HEAT

• First off, I should say this style of music really isn't my thing, and the snappy, treble-forward presentation of the DT-880 made it frankly unlistenable to me. With the Tres, the relatively relaxed presentation took the edge off and gave my brain enough of a break that I could actually put in some time
  • The organic midrange timbre of the Tres plays well against all the electronic effects
  • Tres is able to control the bass effortlessly - they never put a foot wrong

Metallica: Nothing Else Matters​

• The DT-880 really shines on tracks like these, with lots of life and sparkle in the guitar and an immersive soundstage. The Tres is comparatively more intimate and contained in its presentation, especially from the upper mids up into the treble
  • Tres has nice note weight and a rounder, fuller feeling
  • The bass guitar line is gorgeous in the Tres
  • Sibilance of the cymbals is quite pulled back in the Tres
Thank you for the input, you think there’s an open back that is wide like the tres that has that real deep sub bass extension or is the tres is the best thing for what I’m looking for.

Dec 2, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #14 of 17
Thank you for the input, you think there’s an open back that is wide like the tres that has that real deep sub bass extension or is the tres is the best thing for what I’m looking for.
In all honesty, given your goals I'd recommend you look for something you can trial first - either at a local shop or via Amazon buy/return - rather than a blind buy of the Tres or any other headphone.

In my opinion the Tres 45 is quite special, but it's impossible for me to know how much sub-bass is "enough" for you. I find the bass presentation to be impressive in a well-controlled way. You might take one listen and think "this isn't loosening my tooth fillings in the way I'd hoped" and now you own a set of custom made headphones from Ukraine that can't be returned.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #15 of 17
In all honesty, given your goals I'd recommend you look for something you can trial first - either at a local shop or via Amazon buy/return - rather than a blind buy of the Tres or any other headphone.

In my opinion the Tres 45 is quite special, but it's impossible for me to know how much sub-bass is "enough" for you. I find the bass presentation to be impressive in a well-controlled way. You might take one listen and think "think isn't loosening my tooth fillings in the way I'd hoped" and now you own a set of custom made headphones from Ukraine that can't be returned.
Gotcha I get what you mean, I’ll have to find a local hifi store to see what’s there. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back