Looking for replacement to Audio Technica IM02
Mar 17, 2021 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

juniperl

New Head-Fier
I know that the IM series is quite dated and there ain't much people talking about it anymore but I just love the IM02 alot. The IM series connector is one of the weakest and least durable connector I tried. I got someone to mod it to mmcx after the connector started becoming loose and have intermittent audio cut problems. Alas, the modder didn't do a good job and ruined it. Apart from the mmcx port becoming loose from the housing, my IM02 also had strong channel imbalance. I got fed up and bought another IM02 from my secondhand marketplace. This time, I made sure to baby them around, use them sparingly and ensure I don't put any form of stress on the connectors.

It is good for now but I'm looking for another iem to replace my im02 as I can foresee it failing again in the future. There's just that special sauce in the IM02 sound that delights me. It plays female vocal songs (a good 70% of my library) well without sounding shouty or sibilant (I assume due to the cut in the 9-10khz region), and it being bass light makes it non fatiguing for me. Technicalities wise, it's also at an acceptable level for me. I'm wondering if anyone has a good recommendation for an IM02 successor, other than ls200, preferably chifi as it is easier for me to find. Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back