Looking for reference-class DAC
Sep 1, 2013 at 4:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MahthovenWang

Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm looking for a portable DAC only that could be both used as a usb DAC and an iDevice DAC and my budget would be around $200. I hope that it would be a reference-class DAC that would sound as neutral as possible, or is it possible to get such a DAC at this price point? Any help from u guys out there would be greatly appreciated :)

Sep 1, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #2 of 6
The whole point of a good DAC is that it should be transparent and thus neutral. The ODAC is a great USB DAC that fits your budget, although it won't work with idevices.

Sep 1, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #3 of 6
Hey thanks for your reply. Well I've considered the ODAC for quite a while but I can't seem to make up which one should I choose: AudioEngine D1 or the ODAC. They're both in the same price range and I've read positive reviews on both of them. However, some said that the D1 has a small soundstage and the bass is muddy or something... To what extent is that true?

Sep 1, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #4 of 6
The ODAC will be be the better DAC, but it is just a DAC. It does not have a headphone amp. The D1 has a headphone amp and pre-amp outputs for plugging up speakers.

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 6
The ODAC produces analog 2 channel line output that is meant to be connected to amplification, whether a separate headphone amp, powered speakers, or an audio/video receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back