Looking for Recommendations on Headphones
Oct 5, 2011 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Notsud13

New Head-Fier
how's it going headfi, i'm new to the forums and I am currently in the market for a new set of headphones.  It seems like everyone has a lot of knowledge here when it comes to headphones so I thought you guys would be able to help me out.

I'm not looking for anything out of this world, but something of good quality with a reasonable price.  I'm willing to spend anywhere from $100-$300, best bang for the buck pretty much.  I haven't had any hands on experience with any good headphones other than beats by dre that most of my friends swear by and a set of A30 headsets from astrogaming.com.  The dre beats seem decent, but i've got the feeling that $300 is going mostly towards the name.  In other words, they do not "wow" me at all.  My astro gaming A30 headsets seem to sound just as good as the beats does.

I listen to a lot of 70s-80s punk rock music, old blues and seldomly some hip hop. It would be great if I can use them for gaming as well, something along the lines of surround sound. I want something with a VERY nice clean crisp sound with some bass.  Bass isn't a really big thing for me, but it does sound better with some bass.  Something better than dre beats, which I don't think should be too hard to find.  It would be a definite plus if the headphones were portable with maybe a carrying case of some sort as I do travel and would like something strong and sturdy.

I have read about a few headsets but wasn't sure if they were actually good or not (don't really trust amazon reviews).  A few of the headphones i've been looking at are the audio technica ath-m50s, phiaton's ms400, and sennheiser hd558s.  Again, I don't know too much about headphones other than what i've read in reviews.

Thanks in advance.

Notsud (backwards)

Oct 5, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #3 of 11
Adding a small portable headphone amplifier will improve the sound of your headphones.

You've listed both open (HD-558) and closed (M50) headphones.

Open headphones are used when no one else is around, or around people that do not care if they hear your music.
You also get to hear all the noise around you.

Closed headphones keep others from hearing whatever your listen to
and block out noise from around you.

So, are you going to be using these headphones around other people?

Oct 5, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
Adding a small portable headphone amplifier will improve the sound of your headphones.

You've listed both open (HD-558) and closed (M50) headphones.

Open headphones are used when no one else is around, or around people that do not care if they hear your music.
You also get to hear all the noise around you.

Closed headphones keep others from hearing whatever your listen to
and block out noise from around you.

So, are you going to be using these headphones around other people?

ahh got you, i would like something that would block out outside sounds while preventing any sound leaks from the headphones.  thanks for the help man.

Oct 5, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 11
i'll check out the headphones you have listed.  I thought I was in the headphones forum?  I ddin't post in the fullsize forums since I was looking for something portable.

Oct 5, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #9 of 11
From 100-300$ closed headphones i'd say, Ultrasone HFI-580, Ultrasone HFI-780, Denon AH-D2000, Audio Technica M50, and if you can find them, Beyerdynamic Dt990's
Note that some of these will need an amp for best preformance, usually not a very expensive one though.

Best of luck

Oct 6, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #11 of 11
I got one for you. You want a great all arounder. music games movies. Here is one that will surprise you like you won't believe and yes it cost around $30-$40. I am not joking. http://www.head-fi.org/t/571005/the-panasonic-rp-htf600-s-headphones-more-fun-than-the-hd650/360#post_7804435  go to the beginning of the thread for the reviews and a nice open box video.. Great cans at any price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back