Looking for recommendations (Currently have HD58x + Element II)
Jul 23, 2020 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

iamsms

New Head-Fier
I am really loving this new audio experience, so wondering if I can enhance it a bit.
  • Budget - $1000 or less (but I am flexible)
  • Source - PC - JDS Element II DAC+AMP (and Amazon HD music)
  • Requirements for Isolation -At home, not really any need for isolation
  • Preferred Type of Headphone - Full-sized
  • Preferred tonal balance - To be honest, I don't know. I have only used HD58x and Bose 700. I love the HD58x
  • Past headphones - HD 58x, love it. No idea what I am missing.
  • Preferred Music - lots of classical, orchestra, some classic rock, little bit of metal, no Electronic Music, very little pop, some 90s hip-hop
  • What would you like to improve on from your set-up - Better headphones
I am looking at DT 1990pro, HD 6XX (would this be really much different to a newbie from 58X?), Arya, LCD X(the creator edition if available), Focal Elex etc. But as you can probably guess, totally confused.

Or should I just wait and use my 58X for a while (got it 2 weeks ago).

Jul 23, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 7
I say to keep using the HD58X, for now.
I've been using my HD58X as my main headphone, for the past year.

Jul 23, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #3 of 7
I would recommend, for your tastes, definitely exploring a Focal Elear, Elex or a Clear. The Elex is likely the best bang-for-your-buck for your needs.

Jul 27, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #4 of 7
If you had em for 2 weeks, keep listening! If you just want to try a different sound to compare, you can get any pair out there. If you want to upgrade, you have to understand the strengths, weaknesses and/or limitations of the HD58X, I own them btw. Once you know, you can start searching for a replacement or complimentary headphone depending on what you feel the HD58X are missing out on.

I don't think the 6XX is justified if you have the HD58X, too much alike.

I had the Focal Elex too and while it was better in about all aspects from the HD58X, I had to sell them due to comfort issues, couldn't bear the weight and headband pressure for more than 60 mins. I still have the HD58X, never going to sell them but I have the Aeon Flow Open RT now and prefer them in most situations, I'm quite amazed by the quality and construction of it as well.

Jul 27, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #5 of 7
If you want to upgrade, you have to understand the strengths, weaknesses and/or limitations of the HD58X.
Well, you know, that is the thing. I have never listened to a 'real' headphone before. And I can't really even imagine any flaw in 58X. So I was wondering if it is somewhat possible to figure out a purchase based on my music preference. But I understand what you are saying.

I don't think the 6XX is justified if you have the HD58X, too much alike.
Thanks, I was wondering about that.

Jul 27, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 7
The more you listen to your gear the more you can appreciate other gear.

Jul 27, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #7 of 7
Based on your preferred music choices much related to mostly classical and orchestral, the HD58X doesn't look to me like the right choice. They have rolled off bass and unaccentuated treble which makes them very neutral and somewhat mids forward so excellent for vocals and acoustic but I don't like them as much for metal, hard rock and anything electronic.

For your type of music, I would want a very slight V shape (or at least flat from 20hz to 2khz) sound with above average soundstage. Just A/B some Tchaikovsky Nutcracker (I don't have a lot of classical yet but I've seen a few live orchestral performances to have a baseline at least) while writing this and I feel the mids are too forward putting emphasis on woods and brass. I'm being critical of the HD58X but its a very good neutral headphone and VERY comfortable without fault really.

The Focal Elex would give you some of that if I remember correctly but people here that listen to classical will have better suggestions and advice for you I'm sure for your healthy budget!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back